Analytics

News, events, thought leadership and more.
ThizViz
11 - Bolide

"I love helping as many people as I can, and I especially enjoy working with newcomers to Alteryx.”

Hi, I’m Cathy Bridges, Alteryx ACE & Tableau guru and that’s my quote.  Part of the reason I love helping people, especially newcomers to Alteryx is that I’m an accidental data enthusiast.  When I started my last job I didn’t know pivot tables!  I heard about Alteryx at a Tableau training and eventually downloaded the trial-it took my Tableau analytics to a whole other level.  Alteryx and Tableau have opened up a whole new world and helped me advance my career as a data analyst.  And I’m going to be sharing my favorite tips and tricks for improving your data blending skills for Tableau in an upcoming webinar, but I wanted to give you a peek into one of them.

Tip: Stay open, curious and ready to learn.  On occasion, I’ve watched webinars that I wasn’t sure I would benefit from, like beginner trainings or webinars designed to introduce Alteryx to people who aren’t familiar with it. What I’ve realized is that I can often learn something new just by watching someone else use Alteryx. That’s how I discovered some of the tips I’ll be sharing.

For instance, when I first heard about using the tool “handles” to browse the input and output of a tool, I always thought it was in reference to the tiny little green handles on the sides of the tool, here:

cbridges - tool.jpeg

By watching someone else build a workflow, I discovered that those handles are also in another place, where they’re much larger and easier to click on! They’re on the left of the results window, here:

cbridges - screenshot.jpeg

Hope to see you next Thursday 8/25!  Come prepared to ask questions — if you download the trial you can get started experimenting with your own data.