Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Analytics

News, events, thought leadership and more.
ThizViz
11 - Bolide

"I love helping as many people as I can, and I especially enjoy working with newcomers to Alteryx.”

Hi, I’m Cathy Bridges, Alteryx ACE & Tableau guru and that’s my quote.  Part of the reason I love helping people, especially newcomers to Alteryx is that I’m an accidental data enthusiast.  When I started my last job I didn’t know pivot tables!  I heard about Alteryx at a Tableau training and eventually downloaded the trial-it took my Tableau analytics to a whole other level.  Alteryx and Tableau have opened up a whole new world and helped me advance my career as a data analyst.  And I’m going to be sharing my favorite tips and tricks for improving your data blending skills for Tableau in an upcoming webinar, but I wanted to give you a peek into one of them.

Tip: Stay open, curious and ready to learn.  On occasion, I’ve watched webinars that I wasn’t sure I would benefit from, like beginner trainings or webinars designed to introduce Alteryx to people who aren’t familiar with it. What I’ve realized is that I can often learn something new just by watching someone else use Alteryx. That’s how I discovered some of the tips I’ll be sharing.

For instance, when I first heard about using the tool “handles” to browse the input and output of a tool, I always thought it was in reference to the tiny little green handles on the sides of the tool, here:

cbridges - tool.jpeg

By watching someone else build a workflow, I discovered that those handles are also in another place, where they’re much larger and easier to click on! They’re on the left of the results window, here:

cbridges - screenshot.jpeg

Hope to see you next Thursday 8/25!  Come prepared to ask questions — if you download the trial you can get started experimenting with your own data.