Analytics

News, events, thought leadership and more.
AJacobson
Alteryx
Alteryx

5 Key Areas of Analytic Leadership5 Key Areas of Analytic Leadership

What are the key elements needed to create an analytic culture?  How can data science transform an organization and help achieve higher ROI?  These are questions that many organizations are currently struggling with as they think about putting a data science team in place or reaping the benefits of one already up and running.

Even the titles of the roles responsible for leading these efforts have changed dramatically over the last dozen or so years. The title of Chief Data Officers (CDOs) quickly changed to Chief Data & Analytic Officers (CDAOs) as companies realized that the value of data is more significant when you do something with it – that is, when you analyze it. But this is already beginning to change yet again, as companies realize that it’s not about the data or the analysis, in the end, it’s about delivering transformation into the business that matters.  Many companies now are appointing Chief Digital Transformation Officers, or just Chief Transformation Officers to lead this charge.

Unfortunately, the path to success is not as easy as hiring a leader, a few data scientists, and buying a technology tool or platform.  As much as I would like to say that all you need is Alteryx, and the rest will simply happen, there is more to it than great technology solutions.  Do you have the right training in place to teach data literacy? What organizational mission did you give your data science team?  Are they to build solutions, or democratize data science to the entire organization? Have you figured out where data science can make a real impact? Are you currently creating Business Intelligence (BI), or are you truly driving business results?

In my upcoming blog series, we will cover many of these questions to help show how focusing on the following five key areas will ultimately lead to extraordinary results for your organization. The five key areas are:

• People + Culture
  • Ownership + Organization
  • Enablement + Process
  • Tools + Technology
  • Content + ROI

We hope to share our experiences from best-in-class companies around the world and hear your perspectives on the journey.

Alan Jacobson
Chief Data and Analytics Officer

Alan Jacobson is the chief data and analytics officer (CDAO) of Alteryx, driving key data initiatives and accelerating digital business transformation for the Alteryx global customer base.

Alan Jacobson is the chief data and analytics officer (CDAO) of Alteryx, driving key data initiatives and accelerating digital business transformation for the Alteryx global customer base.

Comments
papalow
8 - Asteroid
  • @AJacobson Looking forward to reading your blog.  I like the sequence of your five key areas.  In my experience, people and culture can impede change made possible by new technology.  
adrianloong
11 - Bolide

Most certainly looking forward to learn from your experience.