Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Analytics

News, events, thought leadership and more.
RussJD
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

AMP Banner.jpeg

So, you probably don’t spend much time thinking about what’s under the “hood” of Alteryx —you know, the underlying technology behind the processes you run. Sure, you may ponder on processing power, RAM, or data throughput, but when it comes to an individual piece of software, how often do you think about what powers it?

Here at Alteryx, we’re relentlessly obsessed, and even have an entire product and development team dedicated to it. They’re our engine team, and they just put the wraps on something you most likely never thought about in Alteryx, but believe us, you’ve experienced it.

Remember the thrill you felt the first time you ran a workflow that replaced an hours-long data preparation and analysis process? Well, it was the Alteryx engine behind the scenes slicing and transforming your data in mere seconds or minutes.

Hold on tight, because now you can go even faster.

We’re happy to announce our all-new engine that enables you to achieve more analytic insights, leading to business breakthroughs that impact both top-line growth and bottom-line gains. It’s called the Alteryx Multi-Threaded Processing, or “AMP” Engine, and we can’t wait for you to experience its speed.

AMP Animation 2.gif

By leveraging multi-threading technology, AMP breaks your data into packets that are processed concurrently for a faster runtime which leads to more analytics and more solutions. And faster runtimes don’t just impact outcomes.

Imagine that you have a new project with a new set of unfamiliar data. A major benefit of building an Alteryx workflow with this data is that you get to explore the data and see what it has to offer, right? As you build out the workflow, you want to see and validate the results at various points along the way, explore a new path, and possibly pivot based on what you learn. The AMP engine allows you to run that workflow faster giving you the latitude to iterate quicker, play more “what if” games, and ultimately decreases your time to realize insights and deliver better answers.

This is the next leap in delivering lightning-fast analytics.

With the introduction and proliferation of even larger and more complex datasets like those created through sensors and video, the demands of data processing technology will be stressed and pushed to new limits. This will eventually turn what might seem like marginal leaps into can’t-live-without demands for the analytics and data science communities.

You’re relied upon to deliver accurate insights, fast. And in your world of transforming raw data from multiple sources and turning it into decision-ready data analytics that power your organization, faster is always better.

Take it from our beta users and the Alteryx ACE Community who are calling AMP “game changing!” and “fast.”

“My initial impressions are that it is awesome, stable, fast, and efficient! Pure sweetness,” said Alteryx ACE, Ken Black.

We couldn’t agree more — it is pure sweetness.

While performance depends on workflow complexity, data size, and available hardware, we’ve seen some workflows run several times faster by using AMP. Take Ken, for example. After optimizing his workflow to AMP Engine, all he had to say was, “just wait until you see these new results!”

His results? A 3x performance improvement.

What results await you?

Your results may vary, but we’re confident that when you put AMP to work on your data preparation and analysis workflows, you’ll see immediate results that lead to faster decisions.

Test drive the all-new AMP Engine today by upgrading to 2020.2 and clicking on the Runtime tab in Designer and select “Use AMP Engine” to begin your exploration of faster insights. To learn more about this, please visit our AMP Guidance document.

Russ Duncan
Product Marketer

Russ is a product marketer who is passionate about enabling individuals and organizations to realize the power and benefit of technology, data, and analytics through a human-centered approach. He is a self-described serial observationist who is intrigued by connecting the lived experience with subtext, abstract thought, and the spaces between binary analytic outcomes.

Russ is a product marketer who is passionate about enabling individuals and organizations to realize the power and benefit of technology, data, and analytics through a human-centered approach. He is a self-described serial observationist who is intrigued by connecting the lived experience with subtext, abstract thought, and the spaces between binary analytic outcomes.

Comments
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Exciting! Time to hound my Alteryx admin to upgrade our Designer version.

Ken_Black
9 - Comet
9 - Comet

I was AMP’ed many times during the testing of this product! It inspired me so much, I had to write an article about being a software tester: https://datablends.us/2020/04/24/why-you-should-consider-becoming-a-volunteer-software-tester/

I know that other Alteryx users are going to love checking the AMP box! This is sure to become Among My Personal favorite Alteryx features. Just be sure to strap on your seat belt and make sure your computer has plenty of airflow! Your computer will sound like a jet taking off! 

Ken

fdelapena
7 - Meteor

Is there a way to configure settings so that the AMP engine is checked by default? I tried looking under the GUI's User Settings as well as the Engine config UserSettings and ProgramData config RuntimeSettings, but was unable to identify a value to change.

RussJD
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @fdelapena, thanks for your question! At this time there is no way to turn AMP on by default, however once checked on in your workflow, it will remain checked as part of your workflow settings. 

We'll consider turning it on by default once we have optimized enough of the tools to take advantage of AMP, however, at this time it will continue to be an opt-in experience. 

I hope you're loving the experience and that you're experiencing the speed and efficiency of AMP!

- Russ

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

@fdelapena 

I have an update for you, it is on our roadmap to add the ability for a User to enable AMP as their default engine for all new workflows that they build. That is planned for an upcoming Release. I will let you know once we have the Release identified but it is looking promising to be in 2021.1 when that goes out. 

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

@fdelapena 

Users can now set a persistent User Setting to "Use AMP for all new workflows" with the 2021.1 Release version. 

Go to "Options" - "User Settings" - "Edit User Settings" and check the check box:

TonyaS_0-1615573812339.png

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

An update for all of those watching this post from when AMP was first introduced for General Availability with the 2020.2 Release - with the 2022.1 Release, which is the newest GA version currently available, AMP Engine is now the default for all new workflows that users build in Designer. Many improvements to stability and fixing issues reported by users have been made between the 2020.2 version and the 2022.1 version. If you haven't tried AMP yet, it is worth checking out the 2022.1 Release.