Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Maveryx Success Stories

Learn how Alteryx customers transform their organizations using data and analytics.
STORIES WANTED

Showcase your achievements in the Maveryx Community by submitting a Success Story now!

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS

Bringing Efficiencies to Charities Through Alteryx For Good Program

rusheen2r
5 - Atom
2018 Excellence Awards Entry: Bringing Efficiencies to Charities Through Alteryx For Good Program

Name: Rusheen Rathore, Palak Jindal, Vivek Sahoo and Yugandhar Muley
Title: Volunteers
Company: Sai Krushna Charitable Trust and Sneha Care Home
Collaborators: Nezrin Noushad, Bangalore Alteryx User Group and Alteryx For Good India Group

Sai Krushna Trust.PNGSneha Care Home.png

Overview of Use Case

Alteryx For Good (AFG) was launched in India in March of 2018 and since then the AFG team in India has managed to on-board five charities onto this program. We are a team who is not only passionate about the Alteryx Platform, but also passionate about giving back to society. Alteryx For Good provides just the exact blend of this passion for the Platform and giving back. With a mission to create an impact on these charities and enable charities to achieve their objectives, we started dedicating some of our weekends towards solving their data-related challenges.

As a part of these visits, we did multiple activities, including: digitization of their data, training charity staff on the importance of digitization (storing data in digital format compared to storing it as hard copies), Alteryx training to the staff, and of course building Alteryx models to increase efficiency. 

Sneha Care Home was onboarded as the first charity firm to the Alteryx For Good, India program. Sneha Care Home provides residence for HIV-positive children within the age group of 5 to 13 who have lost their parents. Sneha Care Home strives to provide a safe and healthy environment for children infected with HIV to grow and become beautiful, joyful, and responsible human beings.

Another charity, Sai Krushna Trust, provides residence for orphan children and runs a school for free of charge for children in the nearby villages. Sai Krushna Trust aims to fulfill its objectives of serving the downtrodden without any barrier of caste, creed, race or religion. During one of the visits and discussions with charities, we found out that these charities spend a lot of manual efforts and time writing report cards and creating certificates for the students after each cultural, sporting, and academic event. Post brainstorming, we managed to create templates for recording the exam scores and certificate details and then we built Alteryx models that automate the generation of these report cards and certifications.

Describe the business challenge or problem you needed to solve

Sneha Care Home and Sai Krushna Trust are both driven to provide a healthy, safe, and educational environment for children in need. With that said, it is important that the staff dedicate their time as much as possible towards taking care of the kids, instead of spending time on manual tasks that can be taken care of by tools such as Alteryx. The staff used to spend around 150 hours in creating report cards and certificates for the kids. Additionally, the staff used to spend time and money in printing a pre-defined template from a vendor for these report cards and certificates. The volunteer team swiftly began looking for a solution to the manual time spent on these projects. 

Describe your working solution

As a part of the brainstorming, the team of volunteers came up with a plan to tackle this problem. We started with the digitization of the data, that involved creating a standard template for each class to store the data in a standard format for report cards. We then built Alteryx models (using Alteryx Designer) that could consume this data, enrich the data with some of the mappings of class, student ID, the name of the school/trust, month and year of exam, subjects, etc. Later, with the help of the reporting tools, we were able to generate a standard form of the report card per student including the name of the charity and we then ran second workflow to generate certificates for each of the events.

report card.pngcertificates.png

Describe the benefits you have achieved

The impact of this workflow is beyond the number of hours saved by the staff members of these charities. This time saving is a form of a love to these children as the staff members can now spend more time with them. This time saving is an opportunity for the staff members to provide better diet and nutrition to the children, which ties back to the main objective of the charity--to provide a proper education, and healthy environment for the children. This is not just an Alteryx workflow, it is an emotional bond between the staff and the kids. It's not about the time, but it's about the smile and satisfaction that we get to see on those kids face. It's about making someone feel happy.

Comments
ydmuley
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Thank you Alteryx team for selecting this use case as the nomination

I can't say enough about this, but I genuinely enjoy every moment that we spend at Alterx For Good events! Truly inspiring and impactful.

Can't agree more @rusheen2r to this point on- it's about the smile and satisfaction that we get to see on those kids face. It's about making someone feel happy.

DanielleR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Such a phenomenal use case. Absolutely AMAZING work!!! (I'm not crying, you're crying)

ydmuley
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

This post will always remain in my bookmarks! I wish I could give 50 stars at one time! (lol) @LeahK may be time to add this exceptional function for such use cases. Ha Ha

Thank you Alteryx For Good Team - @ToriA @QuyenT for all the support throughout. The first ever story from India AFG and there is a long way to go for us, this is just the beginning.

QuyenT
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Rusheen Rathore, Palak Jindal and Vivek Sahoo -

This is amazing : ' ) Thank you so much for sharing with the Alteryx Community.

@LDuane

@ydmuley

@rusheen2r

@DanielleR

@ToriA

@Caleb

Can't wait to hear more on your efforts in India!

Dyana
6 - Meteoroid

Super cool.....it's amazing to know how you guys made time admist your busy schedule to help charities...

Nezrin
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Thank you Rusheen, Palak and Vivek for your passion and volunteering efforts for AFG. Its been 6 months we have started our journey and its great to see the impact that we have been creating. Thanks to the entire AFG India crew!!

Also a big thank you to Alteryx!! Its through AFG, that I stumbled upon a different side of me- to give back to the community. Thank you so much for giving us this opportunity to make us a better person :)

Dyana
6 - Meteoroid

Rusheen, Palak and Vivek - I just imagined myself as one of the staff of the school spending time manually making certificates...:) What a relief this would be :)..

The staff will get reasonable time to focus on something else too...Imagine we model the same to other organisations!!!How much we can collectively save as a community !!!! 

Kudos to you'll and the team for making time to do tjis..Great job!!!! 

santhoshsgl
5 - Atom

This is great work guys. Keep it up!

kalpanabhat
5 - Atom

Brilliant work... And for such a great cause! May the force always be with you _/\_

ydmuley
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@DanielleR Are the results out? I believe the results were expected to go out on 07 September 2018, not sure if we are missing the post.

Thanks,
Yug

Alteryx For Good Evangelist | Top Starred Author | Alteryx Addict

LeahK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@ydmuley -- Winners will be contacted in the near future, however, we are not revealing the winning use cases until the Inspire Europe conference.

ydmuley
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Thanks, @LeahK makes sense!

Krisha
7 - Meteor

Guys, this is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC EFFORT. Keep #MakingAdifference