This site uses different types of cookies, including analytics and functional cookies (its own and from other sites). To change your cookie settings or find out more, click here. If you continue browsing our website, you accept these cookies.
2018 Excellence Awards Entry: Born to Run - Automated Agile KPIs
Name: Luke Light
Title: Born to Run: Automated Agile KPIs
Company: Alteryx (internal)
Collaborators: Jen Dineen
Overview of Use Case:
A walk-through of devmetrics.alteryx.com, an intranet site powered by an array of servers to track, interpret, and share progress metrics across our Agile environment.
- Automation – Using Alteryx to perform scheduled pulls from an AP
- Dev / PM Collaboration – building visuals to the specs of various stakeholders
- Sharing Results in a Production Environment – hosting dashboards on the web
Describe the business challenge or problem you needed to solve:
Tracking and reporting project status is traditionally fraught with unwarranted optimism and subjective judgement, leading to inaccurate reporting. Due to these challenges, Program Management created an internal website -- a single source of truth for development metrics in our own Agile environment.
Describe your working solution:
Alteryx Products: Alteryx Designer and Alteryx Server -- mostly YXDB data sources (API extracts).
Repeatable Workflows: hourly API calls scheduled every hour, aggregating reports, apps on the Alteryx Gallery to manually update dashboards, In-Database tools for our Redshift database, visuals through Alteryx Charting (original) and R, and publishing to Tableau Server.
Steps for our solution:
- set parameters with lookup tables
- call Rally (Agile development management system) data from API
- iterative and batch macros to iterate across multiple teams
- aggregate data into useful, lightweight metrics
- publish metrics to Tableau for visualization (some charts in R and Designer)
Describe the benefits you have achieved:
Our process (powered by Alteryx) gives management a reliable view into our development process -- by trending progress, diagnostics, and catered content (created in collaboration with many teams across the org), we have a much clearer understanding of the needs of our developers and setting reasonable expectations for management.