Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

.vbs Event Time Out in Scheduler

bbelden3
5 - Atom

Hello,

I have an workflow with an event on the end that is giving me problems. Basically, we’ve got a workflow with an event on the end (.vbs file) that executes after workflow runs without errors.  I’m able to run this workflow and event without errors every day (manually).  I want this to be set up on the scheduler, so I’ve given the workflow to another user who has scheduler rights.  He is also able to execute the workflow and event without errors when running manually.  When he sets it up in the scheduler though, the event times out (after the workflow itself runs successfully). 

In short, the workflow executes a SQL query and pastes data into 3 .xlsx files.  The event opens the first .xlsx file and saves a print area as PDF, then saves the file itself as .xlsb.  It opens the other two .xlsx files and saves as .xlsb.

We've ensured that the scheduler contains the user's credentials in the "Run As" section, so access should not be an issue.  The script in the .vbs file is also using UNC's as opposed to local file paths.  We have also moved the time allowed for the event before time out up to 10 minutes (it doesn't take this long), and it still times out.  Something in the script is obviously causing an error in the scheduler that does not cause an error when running manually.  

Is there something else that is stopping the .vbs script from running successfully in the scheduler?

2 REPLIES 2
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@bbelden3,

When you say "to another user who has scheduler rights", are you referring to that this user has a Designer license supports automation (local scheduler) or do you all have an Alteryx Server that he's able to create schedules on?

If the former... I'm no expert in vb scripting, but you may need to investigate if there's anything in addition you need to include in your script in order for it to perform the Excel operations as a background service. Since the job is only stopping due to the event timeout and not because of an error, I'm thinking that the process is requiring some type of user interaction for the operation to continue/complete.

If the latter... The above also applicable here, but, in addition, do you know for certain that the server has Excel installed to be able to do those tasks? If it does, you may want to check with the server admin to see the configuration allows services to execute scripts. Also reviewing both the Windows Event and Alteryx Service logs may contain some info to what may be happening.

Last thing I can think of is that your IT/System admins may have additional security protocols in place that may limit what Alteryx can do as a background service. In this case, you may ask for them to whitelist Alteryx.

Hope this helps!

Jimmy

Pauly
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

found the solution here

Alteryx - Forum

qte

You have to create a folder (or two on a 64bit-windows):
(32Bit, always) C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop

(64Bit) C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Desktop

unqte