Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Tree tool and the server with external custom files

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

When using my local machine, i can create a simple app that uses the tree interface tool with a custom file specified. This is great because whenever the custom file is changed (i.e. rows are added/deleted), the workflow will recognize those changes (i.e. when i run the app, it's going out and checking a fresh copy of that file before it shows the user the options); however, our private server cannot handle a custom file for the tree interface tool that points to a UNC file. I don't want to package the file with the app. I receive an error message when I run the app. Is there something else I can do to fix the error I'm receiving in the server environment? If it's not a current capability, it would be great if it could be added. Note that I also tried using an oracle connection, which again worked on my local machine, but errored out on the server. I've included my sample workflow and custom tree file. By changing the workflow dependencies to be UNC file path, you should be able to recreate the errors I'm getting (assuming that the error I'm getting is legitimate). Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @patrick_digan - Did you get a resolution or clarification on this?

Have come across a similar issue...

Joe Lipski
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Joe_Lipski I'll check my notes and report back, but I recall the issue was our Alteryx System Settings and the alteryxservice.exe were not both setup to run as the same service account. Once we aligned those 2 items and had the same account listed in the Alteryx System Settings and the alteryxservice.exe, the tree tool was able to grab the latest file from the network without error.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Joe_Lipski It's all coming back to me as I'm reading through my emails. I believe this was an issue with 10.0 that was resolved in 10.1 for us. Even though we had specified our service  account for the alteryxservice.exe, it wasn't actually using that account when it tried to go and grab the tree file from an UNC path. 

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Thanks @patrick_digan, we solved our issue by changing the 'Workflow Credentials'  back to 'Always run worksflows with server or studio default credentials' in the admin section of server:

workflow creds.png

Joe Lipski
MichalK
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I'm experiencing an issue with 'Tree' tool in Gallery. I use a custom file for the tree structure, but on the gallery the interface does not show, I get "Error: The credentials could not be found." message. The file is located in network drive and I'm using my own credentials to run, the same happened when I embed the file in workflow.

Changing the Admin setting is not an option - is there another solution to this?

Thanks, Michal

bblask
5 - Atom

same issue here, i cant find a sooloution for user specified credentials in commbination with the tree tool

simon
11 - Bolide

Same issue here on Gallery and I am using my NT crendtials to run app. My tree tool is pulling from SQL Server with integrated security. Of course on Server it doesn't work while it works fine in designer. 

-1 for Server. again.

JamesHa
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@patrick_digan Didn't see a response to this and saw more posts so thought I would offer an explanation:

This is actually a known limitation with the interface tools in server. These tools in server aren't executed by the engine and as such are not subject to impersonation by the Run As or Workflow Credential provided. This is because the Gallery uses a separate process (AlteryxService_WebInterface.exe) that spins up under the service account in order to handle these questions (interface tools) so it can pass the appropriate wizard values to the engine. The only way to work around this is to set a service account for the Alteryx Service at the windows level so that all processes associated with the service run as that service account. That service account will need access to any network resources or database that the interface tool will need access to. The Run As or Workflow credential will still override the service account to execute the engine as the selected user.

Let me know if you have any questions!

James Dolan-Hall | Principal Technical Account Manager
support@alteryx.com | community.alteryx.com
wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@MichalK 

@JamesHa 

ever get a solution to this? Having the same issue.