Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Saving to Alteryx Gallery - "Unable to find connection"

akasubi
8 - Asteroid

I've created a workflow on my Alteryx Desktop with connections to several SQL Server databases (using the in-db tools), but when I try to publish the workflow to my company's Alteryx gallery, I get the error message "Unable to find connection '[connection name]' ".

I've created the connections in the Server version of Alteryx and it can find the connection to one of the SQL databases, but it can't find the connection to the other and I'm quite certain I've created exactly the same connection in the server.

Anyone have any idea why this may be? Could I be missing something?

Many thanks

7 REPLIES 7
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @akasubi,

Are you sure you are using the connections created on the server and not from the designer to access the SQL databases?

Regards

akasubi
8 - Asteroid

Hi @afv2688, thanks for the response.

I created the connections the same as the other connections which seem to work fine. 

To provide some context, I create a workflow on my local designer with connections to SQL databases. I then go to the Server version of Alteryx and create the same connections with the same names to ensure that I can then publish the workflow to the gallery to allow for scheduling.

Is this the way I'm supposed to do it?

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @akasubi,

You got it almost, the connections you need to use are the ones which are available on the gallery, that even being the same name are different. Each connection has his unique id Token which is what alteryx uses to identify them. Therefore, the connections on the designer and the ones on the gallery are different.

To access the connections from the gallery you need to go to saved connections -> my companies gallery and select the connection you are looking for:

Untitled.png

If you don't see there any connections you need to go to the gallery admin page and give your user access to them on the connections page.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

akasubi
8 - Asteroid

Hi @afv2688,

I connect to SQL server using the connect in-db tool, where I've set up the in-db connections (options -> advanced options -> manage in-db connections), so I'm unable to see the view below.

How does it work with the in-db tools?

raychase
11 - Bolide

@akasubi you need to run Designer (on the Server) as an Administrator,  which enables you to create 'System' type in-db connections. This should resolve your issue. Note: you can continue to create the connections within your own, local Designer as 'User' type. Also, keep in mind that the connection names must be IDENTICAL matches between the two environments. 

akasubi
8 - Asteroid

@raychase ah I think I was using the non-admin version of designer on the server. Will installed the admin version and see if issues persist.

Thanks for the info!

raychase
11 - Bolide

@akasubi no need to install anything new, just right-click on the Designer icon and click 'Run As Administrator'.  This will execute the software with elevated permissions, and enables the option to create an in-db connection as 'System' type.