The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Replace Workflow - Version Comments

In the gallery you have the ability to replace a workflow with another, however when doing so the version history only indicates "Package Replaced" (see image below)

jgomel_0-1572429879724.png

Would it be possible to change the default text and input something more meaningful, since in my case I use this field for version control/auditing so it would be good to know what changes came with the replaced version.

Second ask, but maybe not as important as the first.

Sometimes the package we are replacing with itself might have several versions, but these are completely lost when the files are combined.

Would it be possible to keep that version history when the package is replaced.

Eg. Original File is at Version 10. This will be replaced by a package that is at Version 3.

Possible solution would be to have the new version be Version 13 which includes the 10 versions from the original file and the 3 from the new. 

Thanks!

3 Comments
kurtwz
8 - Asteroid

I definitely want the same functionality.  I would like version control and the ability to either a) download a previous version of a file, or b) re-institute a previous version of a file to make it the prevailing copy.  Tableau Server has this (see below).  Allowing one version of the file to be the saved version while still being able to revert to previous versions would be ideal.

kurtwz_0-1588777877790.png

Dan_U
5 - Atom

+1

I did my own quick test to confirm. When publishing to a server, you can add version comments, but these comments are overwritten with the unuseful message "Package Replaced"  when a workflow is replaced by another. Is there no way to overwrite a workflow and retain the audit log comments?

Daniel_Utecht_0-1646844696542.png

npariso
10 - Fireball

Bumping this.