Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Problem with running excelcnv.exe or vbs script on Alteryx Server Gallery.

PiotrGa
6 - Meteoroid

Hi dear community,

I have strange problem which occurs only when I publish workflow to the gallery.

I must convert xls file to xlsx, before processing and it was achieved in the designer but using simply command run with command:

Pushd "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\"

excelcnv.exe -oice c:\temp\test.xls c:\temp\test.xlsx

The command was saved as a bat file (in the location where server has access to) and it is run by Command Run tool. It works with no problem through RDP and/or Server designer.

Once it is published in the gallery it run with success but no file/output is produced.

Other strange problem is when I tried to convert the file via VBS script. It also works when I run it from CMD on the server (via RDP) and when I run host workflow from server design, but I get error: -2147467238, with no desc., on the line:

Set xlObj = CreateObject("Excel.application")

I have no idea where to search for the solution, so I will be really thankful for any help.

The main case is to convert xls file to xlsx without pulling the data.

Thanks

Piotr 

1 REPLY 1
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @PiotrGa 

This could be around interaction with the desktop that Excel often needs to run programatically.

If you change the Alteryx Service setting to enable it, that should hopefully work:

Windows Services > Right Click "Alteryx Service" > Properties > Log On > Check "Allow service to interact with desktop"