Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Private Gallery - App that includes download tool

DataBlender
11 - Bolide

I have created an app which contains a download tool but I note that the gallery restricts such apps.

I don't want this app to be publicly available, but rather only to members of a private gallery. Is this restriction still in place or is there a way around it (other than sending to curator for review)?

6 REPLIES 6
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

If you have a private gallery on your own server, then you can allow the app. But it sounds like you're using the gallery at Alteryx and you'll need special permissions. 

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
DataBlender
11 - Bolide

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that, I can confirm that it has been published to a private gallery. 

Is there a setting that you need to configure in order to allow it to run? The app fails with the following error message:

The job [Name of App] did not complete successfully and resulted in the following errors:

• Error transferring data: Couldn't connect to server (Tool Id: 78)
  • Error transferring data: Couldn't connect to server (Tool Id: 78)

Tool 78 is the download tool but I'm able to run the app locally/on the server without issue. In settings, the run mode is 'unrestricted' and I have tried toggling 'Private data exemption' to both yes and no but neither seem to fix the issue.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

As a gallery adminstrator you can enable the workflow to run:

Editing a Workflow

Click the Workflows option in the left menu.
Click the name of the workflow. The Edit Workflow page displays. Modify the workflow’s description, add a tag, or change the icon image, and click Save.

Within this window an Admin can also modify the following:

• Run Mode: Determines the level that workflows are permitted to run in the Gallery. Workflows that contain certain tools or access may need to be blocked. The Default Run Mode is selected when the server is configured. If a user has a workflow that uses one of the prohibited tools in a safe manner, they may request an exemption so it can be run in the Gallery and the Run Mode option can be changed for that specific workflow.

• Unrestricted: Any workflow can be run.

• Semi-safe: Workflows using certain tools will be blocked from running.

These include: Run Command Tool, Download Tool, Email Tool, R Tool,

Run Command Event, and Send Email Event.

• Safe: Workflows using certain tools, or accessing/storing data on non-

local drives, will be blocked from running.

Safe and Semi-safe options can only be used if the Worker > Run As setting has been enabled.

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Jason-PK
5 - Atom

I see this marked as a solution but I am having the same issue and the solution provided below doesn't appear to resolve it. A workflow with the Download tool is configured to run in Unrestricted mode but fails when run in our private gallery. It works when I run it in Designer on the gallery server so it doesn't appear to be a firewall issue. Is there some other trick to get a Download tool to run on the gallery? 

KennyD
6 - Meteoroid

We are having same issue and solution did not work. Seems like the Download tool is not compatible for both public and private galleries? 

https://help.alteryx.com/11.7/Download.htm states

"The Download tool cannot be used in apps saved to the Alteryx Analytics Gallery."

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

The Download tool is one of the restricted tools in Gallery: https://help.alteryx.com/current/server/gallery

You can request an exemption: https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!exemption

Tonya Smith
Sr. Technical Product Manager, cloud App Builder