Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Is it possible to set schedule on "Workflow Group"?

karenTanno
5 - Atom

Hi All,

I'm wondering that there is any way to save grouped workflows on Alteryx server and set schedule on them.

I have about 40 workflows on sever and they're scheduled each but I need to put together as 3 workflows and set schedule.

I know we can Create Workflow Group but it's just put together and it's meaningless.

Do you have any good ideas to solve this?

4 REPLIES 4
hroderick-thr
11 - Bolide

Check out the crew macros at http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html and make one to run them all.

c-lopez
Alteryx
Alteryx

You could use the CrEW macros as mentioned above and it will most likely work; however, they are not officially supported on server. An alternative to that is to save some workflows as analytical apps even if they are not then using the "chained" app function to run them one after the other.

Starting another app after completion can be found on the interface designer of an app

Capture.JPG

jeneir
8 - Asteroid

You can't schedule chained apps! If you do only the first workflow will run, since apps are ment to be started manually.

So Alteryx Server is sadly useless in this regard, have to use Listrunner (and add e-mail event to every workflow to alert errors during the run, since Alteryx Server only "sees" the Listrunner app and wont notify errors).

hroderick-thr
11 - Bolide

You could use windows task scheduler to run a bat file(s) of command line(s)

Here is a bat file we use an enterprise scheduler to trigger when preceding processes are complete

Capture.PNG

The start word at the beginning gets all 5 workflows running at the same time. You might use call instead of start and they would run one at a time in the order listed. Doing it this way you'll need to consider capacity of server(s) so you don't exceed its cpu or memory limits. Running from Gallery, it does some rudimentary load balancing rules like run no more than 2 jobs simultaneously which takes care of that.

Running outside of Gallery makes your responsibility but give much greater latitude on controlling which ones run simultaneous. For instance we have these 5 that can run simultaneous without overloading the server and another that needs to be the only one running. Gallery will also disperse jobs amongst workers but manually you use task scheduler on different servers.