Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Server experts.

Install (or Upgrade) Alteryx Server

AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

This article will walk you through the Alteryx Server installation process, and is peppered with links to related materials. Please note, it is no replacement for the official Server Help for Administrators.

Alteryx Server includes:

**If upgrading Alteryx Server**

For Upgrades
Complete the Pre-Upgrade Checks described in this article: Alteryx Server: Pre-Upgrade Checks
Test the new version before upgrading your production instance.
Then, when you're ready, go ahead with the database backup.
  1. Stop the AlteryxService.

alteryxservice.PNG
  2. Backup the MongoDB. Refer to these articles:
    Alteryx Server Backup & Recovery Part 1: Best Practices
    Alteryx Server Backup & Recovery Part 2: Procedures
  3. If you are upgrading from an old version, you may need to run a migration utility during the install process to update the Mongo version. Keep an eye out for the below checkbox:

migratemongo.PNG
    If you experience difficulties, refer to this article or contact Customer Support for assistance.
  4. Make sure you have enough disk space for the MongoDB and on the C: if they are separate.

Installation Instructions:

1. Download the latest versionfromthe Downloads page.

1.PNG

2. Run the installer with admin rights.

2.PNG

3. Follow the wizardthrough the installation process.

4. If you would like to install theR-based tools, select Install Predictive Toolswhen prompted.

3.PNG

5. If not yet licensed, the wizard will prompt you for a License Key.

license.PNG

If this screen does not immediately load, it can always be reached from within the Designer.

activate key.PNG

6. Configure Alteryx Server from the System Settings, which can be accessed one of three ways:

• If you selectedConfigure Server now on the last page of the installation, it will open automatically.
  • The installation will place a shortcut on your desktop:

system settings.PNG

• From within the Alteryx Designer:

designer admin system settings menu.PNG

Configuration:

Configuration is a vast subject, so refer to thereference material for more information:

Scaling Alteryx Server:

Additional references:

As always, don't hesitate to contact us over atCustomer Supportif you run into any trouble.

Comments
ThomasL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This is a great resource! Thanks.

mbane1
6 - Meteoroid

I did a terrible mistake while upgrading the Alteryx Server 10.6 to Alteryx 11.0

Instead of upgrading the Alteryx server10.6 to 11, I upgraded the Alteryx designer(Version 11, 64 bit) on the VMWARE where Alteryx server is loaded.

But I assumed if I have configured the Alteryx -System settings with embedded MongoDB, I will be able to connect to Database without any loss of data.

But the result - Alteryx Service on the Server has stopped and unable to start again!

I need to revert back the Alteryx server with MongoDB configuration without loss of data. Can I?

AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @mbane1

If I understand you correctly, and you installed a Designer instead of a Server, you should be able to download and install the latest Server version and resolve this issue. It would just hook into the previous MongoDB. However, there is a chance that you may have some trouble starting up the AlteryxService, since it was stopped abruptly during the previous installation.

If you have any trouble, please email us at support@alteryx.com for some guidance.

mbane1
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

Thanks. I was able to fix it.

mbane1
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @AlexKo

I have lost one of my workflows. It is not saved in the scheduler and have not saved it before upgrading the Server.

Can I extract the workflow?

Amarendra
10 - Fireball

Hi @AlexKo

We are trying to setup the trail version on the server on a VM. Using the documentation above we installed the server. However, we could not get the services to run. In the service scripts we see the below error. Any thoughts on how we can proceed? 

"Embedded Mongo Service failed to start in a timely fashion, exiting" 

We are using the port 8080. The is the same in both the runtime xml file and the configuration window during the setup process.

Thanks, 

Amar

ppoorab1
7 - Meteor

Quick questions related to Server upgrade:

1. Does the controller token change on server upgrade?

2. Do I need to reinstall the database drivers?

3. Do I need to reinstall the Crew Macros on the server?

Thanks,

Poorab

levell_x_dunn
10 - Fireball

Hey @ppoorab1,

I"m the server adminstrator for our 5 Alteryx Servers and for upgrade, 1. controller token doesn't change, 2. Drivers don't need to be reinstalled or Alias need to be recreated, 3. Crew Macros don't need to be reinstall. 

The upgrade, upgrades your Alteryx version but leaves all of your personal things intact.

Hope that helps

ppoorab1
7 - Meteor

Thanks a ton levell_x_dunn for such as a quick turnaround.

This helps.

levell_x_dunn
10 - Fireball

You're welcome

brucks
7 - Meteor

Any issues jumping from  v11.7 directly to 2018.2?  Or do I need to upgrade to either 11.8 and/or 2018.1 first?

tdipietra
6 - Meteoroid

@brucks... no issues with jumping from v11.7 to v2018.2.  Just did this on our server and everything is working well.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Upgrading Server from 10.6 to 2018.3.

Anyone have any estimates on how long this process below will take?  Been running for over an hour.  

Mongo.jpg

Thanks.

gnans19
11 - Bolide

It took me 6 hrs and failed.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Ugh.  Not fun!

When I hit the 2-hour mark I decided to click "Cancel" (I had a mongo back up I took over the weekend so I felt brave LOL).

I then re-installed Server 2018.3 all over again.  This time, it worked.  Don't ask me why, but it did!

michalsimko25
5 - Atom

Hello Team, 

We are doing upgrade from Alteryx Server 2018.1 to 2018.3

Is there anything I need to backup (settings) prior to upgrade?

1. Download Alteryx Server 2018.3

2. Setup-prerequisits

3.Installing

4.Settings and Customizing will keep from previous installation, I hope?

We don't have Mongo DB

Should be straight forward correct?

Thank you very much for your feedback.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Are you sure you don't have Mongo?  If you use scheduler or have apps in the Gallery then you probably have Mongo.  If not, then yes, it should be that easy.

michalsimko25
5 - Atom

Hello mbarone,

I take it back, yes we do have Mongo DB, but still in Instructions is not even word about MONGO DB.

Does it require some backup? Or update? Or should I just follow upper installation steps Installation Instructions:

We are doing version 2018.1 to 2018.3 so no Mongo DB migration is needed, am I right?

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I think the mongo migration was required for 1 to 3.  I know I had to do it either from 1 to 2, or 2 to 3.  Can't remember which.

I would suggest backing up mongo just in case so you have a back up of your scheduling and Gallery.

Instructions for back up are here:  https://help.alteryx.com/server/current/admin/Configuration/CreateMongoDBBackup.htm.

It was a bit confusing to me, so here's some cliff notes I made for myself.  The location I created to house the back was W:\Alteryx_Gallery\MongoDB_Backup.  You'll see that below in step 4.  You can put your backup anywhere you like, just change the path in step 4.  When copy/pasting into the command prompt, copy all the blue text.  Don't add or delete any quotes.  Just copy it as is.

FROM THE SERVER:
1. Stop the Alteryx Service
2. Open Command Prompt (as Admin)
3. Enter the following, then click enter:
cd "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin"
4. Enter the following, then click enter:
alteryxservice emongodump="W:\Alteryx_Gallery\MongoDB_Backup"
5. When complete, close the Comand Prompt
6. Re-start the Alteryx Service

Then you can go look at your location in step 4 and make sure the backup is there before proceeding with your 2018.3 install.  The migration will be fairly seamless to you - you will be prompted throughout.

TonyM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I wish I could star this more than once @AlexKo

Usamah22
8 - Asteroid

i'm trying to upgrade my designer to the latest version but don't understand how to do it. Please help!

NatSnook
8 - Asteroid

Question, when you perform an upgrade to server do all Data Connections get maintained? will any reconfiguration be required?

TIA