Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

How to bring a gallery macro into a canvas?

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

We want many people to use the same version of a macro which is sanctioned centrally - however we don't know how to insert a macro that's stored on the gallery onto a canvas.

It is possible to copy the macro out of the gallery, open it in the designer - and then insert this into the canvas - but that doesn't help because if the central macro is updated then my copy in my canvas will not reflect this update.

So what we are hoping to do is to mimic the way that this works if you store your macros on a shared folder.   if you update the macro in the shared folder then every canvas that uses this macro will get this update.

How do we point to the macro in-situ in its home on the gallery?

2017-10-05_22-58-38.png

7 REPLIES 7
scottj
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

While it does not answer your direct question to using Gallery Macros in a drag/drop fashion, I have used some other options to assure the most recent version is used.

Some users set up a network location to save Macros, then make that location one of the defaults in the User Settings location.  If all the users have this location as a Macro Repository path, then each time it is updated, the macro is the newest version in their toolbar.

Scott Jones
Strategic Sales Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

MacroRepo.ini 

[Settings]
DefaultFolder=Macros
Path=\\yourcompany.com\medpro_dfs_data\DFS_Groups\Alteryx\Macros
MinimumAlteryxVersion=11.0

if placed into C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\DataProducts\AddOnData\Macros should help to organize and make sure that everyone is using the same tools.

credit to @patrick_digan

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thank you both for your replies @scottj @MarqueeCrew (and @patrick_digan for the idea).

Gonna try out the ini file version today - and if we can't get this working, we'll do a script to pump all our central macros out to a network share like @scottj mentioned.

Thank you - I'll mark as solved or reply with questions once we've tested today

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @MarqueeCrew & @patrick_digan

I tried the solution that Mark mentioned (adding the entry below to our .ini file)

[Settings]
DefaultFolder=Macros

Interestingly - the share \medpro_dfs_data does not exist on our alteryx gallery box.   I can address our gallery box directly using the \\gallery.<internal server details>.com but there are no shares defined at all.

Patrick - is there something obvious that we are missing?

cc: @avinashbonu @Deeksha @revathi

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @MarqueeCrew & @patrick_digan

I tried the solution that Mark mentioned (adding the entry below to our .ini file)

[Settings]
DefaultFolder=Macros

Interestingly - the share \medpro_dfs_data does not exist on our alteryx gallery box.   I can address our gallery box directly using the \\gallery.<internal server details>.com but there are no shares defined at all.

Patrick - is there something obvious that we are missing?

@SteveA - is there another way to direct the Designer client to the Macros district on the gallery rather than a shared folder on a network somewhere?

cc: @avinashbonu @Deeksha @revathi

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@SeanAdams that ini that @MarqueeCrew was referencing is the non-GUI way to add a macro repository (like @scottj mentioned) which just references a shared folder.  I don't know of any way to use the gallery macros like you're trying to do. 

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Closing this thread.

Confirmed that there is currently no way to reference shared macros that are currently housed on the gallery.

This is reflected in several ideas on the ideas board: 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Macros-Package-Gallery/idi-p/1717

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Add-Macros-and-Gallery-within-Designer/idi-p...