Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Help! Migrating dependent scheduler workflows

sguindi
7 - Meteor

Help needed! Our current scheduler starts the workflow processes based on whether the daily master data has been uploaded or not (which is fired by batches, so it could be at 1,4,6 a.m or 10 a.m, we never know).

If the master daily data has been uploaded then workflow 1 starts and after 1 is finished, 2 starts then 3 and so on, we have workflows that have other workflows as predecessors.

How can we migrate these scheduler workflows on the server?. I know there is a scheduling tool that we can set up but basically all workflows depend on whether the batches fired and the data is ready or not.

3 REPLIES 3
andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @sguindi ,

Are you trying to migrate between one Server and the next or Designer to a Server? I would recommend taking a look at the CReW runner macros or Events depending on the complexity and your ability to install macros on the Server.  

sguindi
7 - Meteor

We're trying to migrate from a windows scheduler to alteryx server scheduler. There are some functionality in the windows scheduler that we don't know if alteryx can do or not.

Like running commands and checking if the master data has been uploaded or not then running the workflows (all have dependencies on either each other or on the master data being uploaded or not)

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @sguindi ,

You can use the Run Command tool or Events to complete the test to see if something has successfully run before you start the workflow. Events can be found under the workflow configuration and allow you to run the script before even starting a workflow or they can be run after a workflow. I have used a reference table in the DB which has the completion times to determine whether it is safe to start the processing before

.Workflow Event TriggersWorkflow Event Triggers

Run Cmd ToolRun Cmd Tool