Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

File Browse Tool (Gallery) - Import a file without selecting a sheet/list of sheet names

While working in the Gallery, I think the file browse tool should allow the user to import a file without selecting a sheet or <list of sheet names> as is does locally.  

For example, I have created an app in which the user is able to import a file with multiple sheets, and all sheets are brought into separate input data tools with a single file browse tool (shown below).
image.png

Since the user does not select a sheet name, the file browse tool only brings in "SelectedFileName.xlsx|". The action tool is then set to replace a specific string "SampleFileName.xlsx|". This allows the input data tools to take this new file name, and add each respective sheet name to the end.

However, when working in the Gallery, the user is required to select a sheet name or list of sheet names, meaning a file browse tool is required for each sheet that you would like to import (shown below). This is a huge inconvenience for the application user, as they have to select the same file numerous times to import every sheet. 

image.png

Please let me know if you would like me to provide any more information, I would be happy to do so.

Thanks,

Matt

8 Comments
gentdirga
5 - Atom

I like this idea

jmarotti
5 - Atom

Agree - this would be quite helpful!

TanyaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

We are looking at updating how apps are handled in Server. Thanks for bringing this up; I'll be sure to include this concept in the discussion and let you all know if we end up moving forward with the concept.

Thanks!

rohan_tibarewala
9 - Comet

I have the same situation. Any update on this?

TanyaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@rohan_tibarewala Not really. This is something being considered as part of a larger initiative. I'll be sure to update when we've decided if/how we're addressing this.

Pablozs84
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Guys,

any updates regarding this idea? Implementation of it would be very helpful & more efficient way of uploading one excel file with multiple sheets once instead of current approach presented by Matt.

Zampy
6 - Meteoroid

If anyone is still looking for a solution, you can use the Directory tool as an input in your Gallery apps:

Zampy_0-1647609371175.png

In the update tool, select update value with formula, select the Directory's value, and in the formula field use FileGetDir([#1]).  Then, in the connected formula tools, set Path to FullPath + <sheetname> and connect it to a Dynamic Input tool set to the schema of that tab.  Your user will still need to select an existing tab name, but they will only need to upload one file into the Gallery this way.  

jonriddle
8 - Asteroid

Agreed, it works exactly as I needed in the designer.  I was disappointed to see that it behaves differently in gallery.  I can switch to text boxes and have the users copy/paste file names, but that's a hack.  File browse would be better.