Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Error with Join Tool: Both left and right inputs must have connections

Venkat_007
5 - Atom

Hello there,

I have a workflow that takes about 2.5 - 3 hrs to run on the Alteryx server. The workflow has in DB Hive connections ( The data is large). As per the request of my client, I had to make some adjustments to a certain static input file and added additional formula, Join and union tools accordingly.  when I run the final third of the workflow that has new additions to it, the workflows runs perfectly fine. But when I run the entire workflow with the new changes, the server is throwing me a error on a certain Join tool (Error: Both left and right inputs must have connections). 

So, this error that occurs at a certain Join tool is located between the first and last sections of the complete workflow and has nothing to do with the new additions, as the new additions have been added at the final third of the workflow.

I have to run the Entire workflow on a Daily basis. I cannot run it in sub sections

Several things that I have done: Tried dividing the workflow and it works perfectly fine. Tried running limited data and it works perfectly fine. tried running only the section where the error occurs and the workflow runs perfectly fine. Also, tried replacing the sub sections by running them on a separate tab and replacing them on the original workflow and still the error occurs. I do not have errors on in DB Hive connections and they work perfectly fine.

I believe there were several threads on this issue. None of them were helpful.

I would really appreciate if one of you could help me out. 

NOTE: I need to the run this workflow daily on the Company's Alteryx server. 

5 REPLIES 5
Bennel_Wilson
8 - Asteroid

The Join tool as you might already know throws such errors when it is unable to detect connections on both input anchors.

Inspite of making connections to both the input anchors, if the error still persists, the reason could be that somewhere upstream in your workflow the source of input for the join tool is disconnected or the fields used for joining has been opted out of the workflow. More often, it is the source being disconnected.

Check it out and if the error still persists, would you mind posting the workflow or a screenshot of the workflow here.

Regards

Benn

P.S: In case this solves your query, kindly mark is as a solution.

NicolasFabre81
8 - Asteroid

I'm having this problem right now : my workflow runs well and validate on the desktop, but it fails on the server with the message "Both left and right inputs must have connections", on the tool hereunder.

I think the issu might be with  INDB tools ?

We are running V 2019.4, than

NicolasFabre81_0-1670420754182.png

NicolasFabre81
8 - Asteroid

I think there is a bug with the ouput in-db tool : 

1. If I run the wf on my desktop, it does output some rows
  2. If I run the same wf on the server, it does not output anything !
PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @NicolasFabre81 

1) What kind of connection are you using in the In-DB Tool?

2) What happens if you run the workflow in Designer on the server machine?

In order to run a workflow using the In-DB Tool on the gallery, I would recommend using an In-DB File connection, this file will need to be stored in a network location and be accessible by the server machine. (Link that describes this)

Hope this helps, if it does please like this post and mark it as a solution. 

saraswati
5 - Atom

Hi , I am also facing the same issue not able to publish the Wf on server , were you able to fix this issue