Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Do I need Alteryx Designer Desktop tool to be able to run workflows in Alteryx Server?

McKinsey_Project
7 - Meteor

We are trying to build a complete cloud based analytics solution for our project.  In doing so, we have the question that if we are to use Alteryx server only, do we need Alteryx Designer on a desktop?  Can Alteryx work in a complete Server Only mode with the necessary tools available as a Web Based functionality?

What is a good documentation that distinguishes Alteryx Desktop Designer and Server capabilities?

9 REPLIES 9
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @McKinsey_Project

When you install the Alteryx Server you get the Alteryx Designer engine .exe to allow scheduled or published workflows to be executed. A local Alteryx Designer machine and separate designer license are used to develop workflows and save them to the Alteryx server.

The server allows users to take advantage of:

• Scalability: allowing you and your organisation to run multiple workloads simultaneously.
  • Collaboration: the ability to create , publish and share workflows, apps and macro-based tools and open up analytic app functionality via a RESTful API.
  • Scheduling: to automate jobs, and
  • Governance: to provide control over data and content access. 

Here is the architecture of a typical server:

pic 1.png

This is also our cloud based solution for the Alteryx Public Gallery:

pic 2.png

This technical Overview document will be able to provide some more details about the Designer and Server

Best,

Jordan Barker

McKinsey_Project
7 - Meteor

Thanks!  This really helps.  The documentation is not very clear in a few respects.

We would not have any desktop based solution and we will need to develop the workflows in cloud only.  Is the web based workflow designer good enough to model complex business logic?

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @McKinsey_Project

If you install Alteryx on a VM in the cloud you would be using the Alteryx Designer license. You could then build the workflows and save to the Alteryx Server.

Best,

Jordan

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @McKinsey_Project

I have read through a few of my replies above and just want to make clear my statement. 

The alteryx designer which is included in the alteryx Server is used as the engine for the Alteryx Server. 

To have an Alteryx Server deployment you will need purchase a Alteryx Designer locally to develop workflows, macros and applications. 

Best,

Jordan Barker

hsinom1
6 - Meteoroid

Quick question- why cannot we use the designer in Alteryx server to build the workflows. Isnt it essentially the same as the desktop version?

mat_ste_cb
8 - Asteroid

@JordanB

That's not true at all. Alteryx Applications lose some functionality when are uploaded to the server. For example, you can't have live connection with file stored on your computer hard disk. 

Best Regards

mat_ste_cb

akshatoz
7 - Meteor

For any cloud based data integration and analytics solution - You can take an AWS EC2 Windows box (or Azure), install Alteryx Server on the same and then make that available over a Virtual Private Cloud (VPC).

Alteryx Designer will be required to carry out the developement.

Alteryx Server will execute the mappings made in Alteryx Designer and will help schedule and maintain the code.

mat_ste_cb
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @akshatoz, sounds very intresting,

You wrote: "You can take an AWS EC2 Windows box (or Azure), install Alteryx Server on the same...".

Can I do it when my Alteryx Server has already been installed (it's global server, not just using by my company)?

Best Regards

mat_ste_cb

akshatoz
7 - Meteor

Hi Mat - Yes it would be possible , Assuming you have an Alteryx server installed in a Box A (on-premise) and it is in Production.

Now we need to migrate the same into a hybrid cloud model.

1. We have options like Amazon Web Services (AWS) infra or Microsoft Azure. I will explain with AWS.

2. We reach out to AWS team and they configure an AWS EC2 windows box for us.- Box B

3. This AWS EC2 windows box would reside in an AWS Virtual Private cloud.(VPC)

4. We can install more AWS EC2 in the same AWS VPC instances and can have Alteryx designer installed on the same.

5. Now we contact our windows Admin team who will take an image of our prod Box A on which Alteryx server resides and map the image on our AWS EC2 Box B.

6. AWS and windows Admin team  need to work together to make sure that the application services of Alteryx server run properly on Box B after imaging has been done.