Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Server experts.

Connecting to a controller in 3 easy steps

BlytheE
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

Want to start scheduling workflows? First, you will need to connect to the controller of your server

When connecting your desktop to the Controller, you need two things: the machine name of the server and the controller token.

1. What’s a machine name, you ask? It is also known as the full computer name. On the machine housing Alteryx Server, the machine name can be found here - Control Panel\System and Security\System. Mine looks something like computername.domain.com.

Control panel.png

2. The Controller token comes from Alteryx System Settings, also located on the machine that houses the server. It is under Controller>General. Click View, copy and paste the controller token into notepad and save it somewhere safe! *Regenerate only if completely necessary, this will cause issues for existing schedules*

System Settings.png

You are now ready to connect to the Controller!

3. Go to Options>View Schedules>Controller dropdown>Connect to Controller

View Schedules.png

And the final step is copying and pasting the Machine name and Controller token you gathered earlier.

Connect to Controller.png

Happy scheduling!

Comments
_enrique_javier
7 - Meteor

So, okay, what do i do when i get a Controller Connect Error? I also found this post in the community https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Singapore/Alteryx-Scheduler-FAQ-s/gpm-p/32509, but the link to the actual FAQ's is broken (https://help.alteryx.com/current/index.htm#SchedulerFAQ.htm?Highlight=schedule)

controller-connect-error.png

Justin_0
8 - Asteroid

@_enrique_javier, did you ever get past that error?  I am experiencing the same thing now and can't figure out what to do about it.

_enrique_javier
7 - Meteor

@JustinO, it turned out that the Alteryx Service versions were not compatible; what Alteryx version(s) are you in? It makes a difference if you're in Desktop vs Server.

MeanLeanDean
8 - Asteroid

Having the same issue here.  How do one check the Alteryx Service versions?  This was working yesterday, but today does not.

CaraI
Alteryx
Alteryx

@MeanLeanDean - 

I would guess one of two things.  

1. Did you upgrade your Designer?  If your Designer is any version ahead of your Server, then it will cause the controller to stop working.

2. If the Server admin refreshed the controller token, then you will need the new token.

Either way, you will need to contact your Server admin which can help you with the Server version and/or controller token.

Cara

MeanLeanDean
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the response, Caral.  Unfortunately, we’re not using the Server.  The controller is on the same machine as Alteryx Designer.  I assumed “server” in the comment above meant something other than Alteryx Server.  The cause must be something else.  There literally is nothing on Community or in Help that I can find that addresses this issue.

CaraI
Alteryx
Alteryx

@MeanLeanDean - Sorry for the misunderstanding.  With it being just scheduler.  I would check the following:

1. Did your computer name change?

2. Is your scheduler license current?

3. Reset your controller token and reapply?

If this doesn't lead to your solution, it might be best to open a support ticket.

Cara

MeanLeanDean
8 - Asteroid

1. Did your computer name change? No.

2. Is your scheduler license current? Yes.

3. Reset your controller token and reapply? This is the reply I get:

Capture2.PNG

I have opened a ticket.  Thanks for you help.

MeanLeanDean
8 - Asteroid

I figured it out.  My desktop password was changed.  There was no error telling me that happened.  Not until I paged through Advanced System Settings did a message pop up on the login page to the Controller that Alteryx could not connect.  I changed the password and all was fixed.  Later, when I checked error messages on the failed scheduled workflows, they all said the user name or password had changed.  Too bad the helpful error message was hidden by the problem itself.  This issue is simple enough, it should have to be hunted down.