Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Connect Alteryx to Download from Tableau Server Database

stapuff
9 - Comet

I am looking to retrieve a list of data sources, user information, workbooks, etc from Tableau. I am new to Tableau server so throwing the question out there. 

Thanks,

Puff 

10 REPLIES 10
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @stapuff, take a look at the SQL's mentioned in the following Tableau community post, and use them in Alteryx's Input tool to fetch the data inside Alteryx for further analysis.

https://community.tableau.com/thread/238244

Please mark this post as solution accepted if it answers your query

stapuff
9 - Comet

I appreciate the response back.  I will take a look at it and let you know how I fair.

Thanks,

Puff

stapuff
9 - Comet

I appreciate you posting that link. Extremely useful documents.

I did not use this suggestion though.  Just ended up build a Rest API workflow to produce the results I was looking for.

Again Thank You for your post,

Puff

pablolarocca
5 - Atom

Could you Share the Rest API, I have the same need

shalinipal23
5 - Atom

I have the same requirement. Could you please share the workflow.

stapuff
9 - Comet

@shalinipal23 

Sorry... just seeing this.  Do you still need the example?

Puff

bakedsalmon333
5 - Atom

Hi I also need the workflow do you mind sharing? Here's mine but I got some 404 errors. 

stapuff
9 - Comet

@bakedsalmon333 @shalinipal23 @pablolarocca 

I am going to describe what works for me.

1) I created a user in Tableau and gave the user Admin rights.

2) I took the url of our Tableau site, username and password created in step 1 and placed it into the input tool marked with red line.

3) I then placed the url of our Tableau site and placed it in the formula tool marked with red line.

*Note - the formula tool marked with red line is where you can change what api is getting call/returned. Look at the tail end of the url getting called. I have mine hardcoded to /users?pageSize=1000 ,but this can be dynamic

TableauUsers.PNG

shalinipal23
5 - Atom

Thanks for the workflow. Apologies, for not replying any sooner.

One more query is this possible without the admin rights?