Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

CAn alteryx api be used to invoke Workflows in a Collection in the Gallery

DeepakTyagi
8 - Asteroid

As per my understanding , I can invoke Alteryx APIs in my private studio using the Private studio API. Is it possible to invoke workflows shared with me through the collections can be invoked using Private studio or Admin API keys.

7 REPLIES 7
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @DeepakTyagi the only way you could invoke a workflow that been shared with you in a collection that another users has produced and published to a different private studio would be if you had their Studio API key and Secret and were using the Subscription/Private Studio APIs.

DeepakTyagi
8 - Asteroid

If i understand this correctly , workflows in 

1. Private Studio - can be invoked by using the Private Studio API Key and Secret

2. Collections (shared with you) - cannot be invoked using Private API Key or Secret, because all the APIs are targeted towards Subcriptions or Private Studio

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @DeepakTyagi 

1. Private Studio - can be invoked by using the Private Studio API Key and Secret. You are correct.

2. Collections (shared with you) - cannot be invoked using Private API Key or Secret, because all the APIs are targeted towards Subcriptions or Private Studio. If you are part of the Studio that the workflow been published you will need the user or users of that subscription to provide you the API key and secret to invoke it. Having the workflow shared with you in a collection from another users studio does not mean you can use your own subscription api credentials to invoke that workflow.  

JSNelson08
8 - Asteroid

there are banners on the subscriptions page like below:

In a coming release, to streamline your asset management, subscriptions (studios) are going away. Assets will be associated with users rather than a given subscription (studio). If you have assets in your Private Studio these will be associated with your user instead.

If you are using subscriptions (studios) to share assets, we recommend that you migrate shared assets to Collections to prepare for this improvement. See Collections for more info. 

given this update that is coming, how will this effect the use of private studio APIs and collections as we currently understand them and as is described above?  will there be API functionality extended to Collections, or will it work in an entirely different manner?

also, is there a known release that this will be a part of?  is it 2020.x or is it further off (2021.x)?

John_Rutter
6 - Meteoroid

Is there any work in the pipeline to add Collection API functionality?  Users should not be sharing their API Key / Secret, as that would allow anyone with that info to impersonate them.  This functionality would allow my users to be able to expose workflows for execution simply by sharing them in a collection.  The alternative is that to be exposed to our front-end, workflows have to be downloaded & re-uploaded by the account that interacts with our API.

John_Rutter
6 - Meteoroid

FYI, upvote this IDEA and ones like it to try to promote this functionality

API Endpoint for Collections

harii8
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I'm also interested to know how APIs are going to work with no more subscriptions in the future. Please let me know in case you do have an answer to this already, as I was just looking to have a private studio created for my team to collaborate in and use the Alteryx Gallery subscription APIs, as we currently can't call use APIs to invoke workflows shared in a collection.

Thanks!