Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Alteryx Connect - SMTP issue

RhysPickett
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All,

Receiving the below error when attempting to reset passwords, this works for our Alteryx Gallery though. I've had a look in connect and on our connect server and I'm not sure where to configure the SMTP settings for this. I can't see a config app similar to the one for Gallery where settings can be changed and if I select 'change' in apps/programs it mentions an uninstall module which I'm not confident to proceed with pressing next. 

is there a config in program files somewhere I can amend this?

SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet [xf3-standalone] in context with path [] threw exception [Request processing failed; nested exception is cz.semanta.xf3.XformsException: Could not send e-mail to UserEmailladress] with root cause

javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: 535 5.7.3 Authentication unsuccessful

thanks

12 REPLIES 12
SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

@RhysPickett - the SMTP settings are set during install, but the config file can be found at %ProgramFiles%\AlteryxConnect\ac_work under the file ac_config.xml.

As with all edits to config files, please make a backup prior to making any changes. More info on setting the SMTP settings can be found in the Help.

Sophia Fraticelli
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx, Inc.
RhysPickett
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for you reply Sophia,

I have checked the XML and can confirm everything is set to the same settings as our Alteryx Gallery server. The issue must lie within the <SMTPPasswordEncrypted> field. Are you aware of any way I can get this changed without the reinstallation? as previously discussed the emails work in gallery but not for connect, and the 'from' email, host, username, port and SSL options are set to the same. 

SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

Unfortunately, currently the only way to change the password is to re-install Connect and edit in the Installation. Because the database has already been initialized, the start up shouldn't be as long as it was during the initial setup. 

Sophia Fraticelli
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx, Inc.
RhysPickett
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks, I've been through the setup and copied the SMTP settings over currently in our Gallery environment. The new error specifies that there are no authentication mechanisms supported by both server and client, is this an option that needs to be set somewhere? So looks the connection to the mail server is now happening just cannot authenticate,

Thank you so much for your help.

Kind regards

Oct 23, 2017 3:24:15 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke

SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet [xf3-standalone] in context with path [] threw exception [Request processing failed; nested exception is cz.semanta.xf3.XformsException: Could not send e-mail to rhys.pickett@brookson.co.uk] with root cause

javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: No authentication mechanisms supported by both server and client

RhysPickett
6 - Meteoroid

Any update to this please? I've tried both SSL enabled and disabled now. (Gallery is using disabled currently)

Thanks

blyons
11 - Bolide

I had similar issues. After many uninstalls and reinstalls and working with support, I learned a few things that may (or may not) apply:

• For the SMTP user name, I had entered it as "domain\username." Connect will throw out the backslash, making it an invalid user name. Support recommended using "username@domain." In my case, it turned out that I didn't need the domain at all.
  • It appears that Connect does not allow some characters in the SMTP user password. I proved this by changing from the account we use for Alteryx Server (which includes an "@" in the password) which didn't work, to my own personal account (I am an admin), which only uses letters and numbers in the password, and that worked. I asked for documentation of what letters were disallowed, and they claimed that only $ and \ were disallowed. I had already proven that to not be true. So at this time I don't know what letters work and what don't, other than to say letters and numbers work, and @, $ and \ do not.

I hope that helps. Try experimenting and let us know what you learn.

RhysPickett
6 - Meteoroid

Ah that's great, the password does contain invalid characters as you mentioned below so looks like this will need to update! I will experiment with taking the domain out and changing to the SMTP address for username providing this does not resolve the issue,

Many thanks for this!

I will be back to confirm if this has worked and close as resolution

kind regards

RhysPickett
6 - Meteoroid

Unfortunately still having issues, I think the password field must have been configured incorrectly when the person had set this up. If I go ahead to reinstall through control panel, will this keep a backup of the activity that's already undergone (user account creations, data sources etc)? Or would I need a copy of some directories to reimport once I've reinstalled?

Also, just wanted to enquire with this message; No authentication mechanisms supported by both server and client. With us allowing the servers IP to the relay connectors in exchange (allowing it to send mail) I notice that only TLS is selected for authentication and not basic authentication - do you think this is required in order for connect to speak to our exchange server? Only because the only thing I could whittle it down to was password if not this, as I would imagine it would have returned a authentication unsuccessful or similar message instead. failing this I will try contact support to see If I can get any movement on this, 

many thanks

Rhys

blyons
11 - Bolide

I can address the first question. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Connect many times, and doing so does not destroy the Connect metadata database. If you want to start with a fresh metadata database, you must delete the entire Connect folder structure after uninstalling Connect. If you do not do that, your data will remain intact. The only way we can change the SMTP password currently is to uninstall and reinstall.

I cannot address your second question. Sorry.