Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Access Microsoft Excel from Alteryx Gallery

kkanda
5 - Atom

Hi 

I am using a run command tool to run a PowerShell script. This script opens an excel created by Alteryx and Refresh its excel formulas in different tab. This is working fine when I am running on my system or server. 

However when running on Gallery it is not able to open the excel because Gallery (a web app) is not able to access Microsoft Excel app.

Any help would be highly appreciated

4 REPLIES 4
AmeliaG
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @kkanda,

Workflows kicked off to run from the Gallery are running on the server. If it works on the server and all of the dependent files are saved to the Gallery, it should work fine in the Gallery as well. Please check:

1. The script is saved to the Gallery with the workflow, see manage workflow assets in the 'Save As' flow

2. The system user has access to the relevant Excel file 

If this does not resolve, can you please send a screenshot of the error message?

kkanda
5 - Atom

Thanks AmeliaG

All the assets are included while publishing the workflow. Actually, the PowerShell script used is opening an excel which is giving the error on Gallery.

I have logged the PowerShell error and below is the error generated.

Capture.PNG

AmeliaG
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @kkanda,

When Set-StrictMode is off, uninitialized variables (Version 1) are assumed to have a value of 0 (zero) or $Null, depending on type. References to non-existent properties return $Null, and the results of function syntax that is not valid vary with the error. Unnamed variables are not permitted.

Where is the excel file located which you are trying to open with the script?

SowmyaNagaraju
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, I'm facing the same issue - while trying to modify Excel file using PowerShell script. Could you please tell if you found the solution to this problem. Thank you!