Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Server experts.

Workflow Exceeded Maximum Runtime and was Canceled

WayneWooldridge
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

If you are getting an error message 'Workflow exceeded maximum runtime of XX seconds and was canceled', you may need to change your system settings to allow a workflow to run longer. From Alteryx Designer, go to Options --> Advanced Options --> System Settings. (Note: if you are running Alteryx Server and don't see the System Settings, you will need to contact your server administor and have them help you make changes to the System Settings). Click 'Next' until you get to the Worker Configuration. If the 'Cancel jobs running longer than (seconds)' option is checked, the seconds can be increased here.

This message will be generated for scheduled workflows and workflows being run from a gallery if the option has been checked and the workflow runs longer than the setting allows.

Exceeded Max Runtime 01.png

Comments
cam_w
11 - Bolide

Hi @WayneWooldridge!

Can you confirm how this would work in Server 2018.2 and later versions for Chained apps? I found a thread here (LINK) that says it's actually controlled by a config file on the Server installation.

Is this still the case? Or has Chained apps been unified with normal workflows and apps under this system setting?

Thanks,

Cameron

Paul_Holden
9 - Comet

@WayneWooldridge wrote:

This message will be generated for scheduled workflows and workflows being run from a gallery if the option has been checked and the workflow runs longer than the setting allows.  

The documentation currently states:

https://help.alteryx.com/current/server/worker

Cancel jobs running longer than (seconds): If you do not want jobs to run for an extended period of time, use this setting to force jobs to cancel after a certain amount of time has passed. This helps free up system resources that might otherwise be taken up by unintentionally long running jobs. This setting only applies to scheduled jobs and does not affect manual runs from the Gallery.

I have not been able to test this as I don't have a suitable environment outside of production.