Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Server experts.

The Gallery: Composer File Type for Multiple Output Options

TonyM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

The Composer File (pcxml)is a file type that contains a proprietary language used by Alteryx for reporting purposes. What this means for use in the Gallery is that an end user will have the ability to choose among XLSX, PDF, DOCX, ZIP and HTMLfile types for output.

composer 1.png

In order to use the pcxml format, you will need to use the Render tool, which can be found in the Reporting section of the tool palette. A basic Table tool connected to the Render tool will suffice for a grid report, shown respectively.

composer 2.png composer 3.png

The configuration for the Render tool will require two things, first, that the Output Mode is set to choose a Specific Output File. The Gallery validation of the workflow will fail in the Public Gallery unless a specific output is set. Next, select the pcxml file type for output and name the file. Upon loading the workflow to the Gallery you’ll see that the dependency changes to an externals path “_externals\1 ame.pcxml”, this is expected. The second configuration property to set is the Data Field in the Report Data section. We will need to reference the table created using the basic Table tool.

composer 4.png

Now load the workflow to the Gallery and that’s it! Enjoy the flexibility of reporting file formats the pcxml Composer file has to offer!

Note: Workflow and all images created in this article are from Alteryx version 10.1

Tony Moses

Client Services Representative

Comments
Coxta45
11 - Bolide

This is so cool!  I just changed the output on one of my apps in our gallery to use this feature as opposed to always outputting an excel file.   I love seeing the preview of the results in the window after the app runs. 

PCXML.JPG

Thanks!

Taylor

minhdvo
7 - Meteor

It is a good solution. I can give different output files and also display the output results on the screen when running the app in the server.

Thanks.