Alteryx Server Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Server experts.

Port 80

AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

To check what's using Port 80:

1. Open Command Line and use netstat -aon | findstr :80
    • -a Displays all active connections and the TCP and UDP ports on which the computer is 
      listening
    • -o Displays active TCP connections and includes the process ID (PID) for each connection
    • -n Displays active TCP connections, however, addresses and port numbers are expressed 
      numerically and no attempt is made to determine names
  2. Then, to find which programs are using it, take the PID number and put them in tasklist /svc /FI "PID eq [PID Number]"
  3. Closing programs should resolve

To change Alteryx Server's Port:

1. Stop AlteryxService
  2. Use netstat -a to get a list of port & choose an available port
    • I usually choose one of the 127.0.0.1 ports not being used, like 1900. 50000 is usually free too
  3. Open Notepad as an Administrator (right click Notepad and select Run As An Administrator)
  4. Open the following file: C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\RuntimeSettings.xml
  5. In the <Controller> section add the following setting <ServicePort>##</ServicePort> and save the file
  6. Open Alteryx System Settings and add the port to the Base Address like so: http://localhost:1900/gallery/
  7. Restart AlteryxService

Many programs use Port 80 in addition to Alteryx Server:

Skype has a feature to avoid using port 80. In menu Tools, Options, section Connection, ensure that "Use port 80 and 443 for additional incoming connections" is unticked:

Skype port 80.png

Comments
Josue
6 - Meteoroid

Dear,

Great explanation for checking doors and material to support the infrastructure IT.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Josue

RodLight
8 - Asteroid

@AlexKo 

I'm trying to change the port for Alteryx Server on my demo machine.

In going through the process you outline above, when I get to step 6 and try to open System Settings, I get the error "You have no valid licenses". 

Yet when I reset the XML file to its original settings, I can open System Settings without an issue.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? (the new licensing process maybe?)

Thanks,
Rod

AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@RodLight 

Hope all is well.

Off the top of my head, I would check to make sure that your license for Server is installed at the system-level and not a user-level on the machine. Quick way to check that may be to try to access Alteryx Server from a different user in Windows & see if you're still licensed.

Reach out to Support if you continue to have trouble.

Cheers,

Alex

Adithyakrishna
5 - Atom

This was interesting!