Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Server experts.

How do I schedule a Workflow using Alteryx?

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

If you're scheduling in v11.0+, be sure to check out scheduling from the Gallery and interface changes to the Scheduler.

The beauty of Alteryx is the ability to make repeatable data processes time and time again. But, if that wasn't good enough, we have the ability automate these workflows through scheduling!

You will just need one of the following licenses to get started!

• Alteryx Designer with Scheduler License 
  • Alteryx Server License

How do I know if I have the correct license?

• You can go to Options>>>Manage Licenses within the Alteryx Designer and if you have the ‘API & Command Line w/ Scheduler (Enterprise Server & Workstation) ticked you have the ability to schedule

Pic 1.png

So how do I schedule?

Alteryx Designer with Scheduler

• This option will give you the ability to schedule to your local machine
  • Once you have saved the workflow you wish to schedule you can go to Options>>Schedule Workflow>>>Local Machine
  • You can then set the frequency you wish to schedule on

Pic 2.png

Alteryx Server

• This option will give you the ability to schedule to the Alteryx Server
  • Once you have saved the workflow you wish to schedule you can go to Options>>Schedule Workflow>>>Connect to Controller

Pic 3.png

• You will then need to get the Machine Name or IP address from the Alteryx Server Machine
  • The Controller Token can then be found in the Controller -> General section of the Alteryx Server System Settings (Alteryx Server Admin will have access to this)
  • Once you have made the connection to the Alteryx Server machine you can set the frequency you wish to schedule on

Here are some more useful links on scheduling using Alteryx:

Best, 

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

Comments
Lauta
5 - Atom

Thank you very much, this is a very usefull information! Only one cuestion, could i use this Scheduler as a type of Olap process? This is because i want to automatize a certain audit process in a company and show the results in real time (or most closely to that).

regards

choang4
6 - Meteoroid

Just want to share with some newbies as me. For scheduling a workflow to run on your local computer, follow the user guide, not a biggie. But before creating any schedule, go to the System settings, at the Worker configuration, make sure the "Quality of Service" is set to 0

NJT
11 - Bolide

Maybe update this post with some more info like where you need to export your workflow to a package if it has data input and outputs and how you need to use file paths instead of mapped drives if you're working with data on network drives and also the links at the bottom are broken at least for me I couldn't open the FAQ link. Also a silly question I have maybe is whether you have to leave Alteryx up and running for the scheduler to run when you're not using the server version you just have the desktop with scheduler? Or do you just need to leave your desktop on and Alteryx doesn't need to be running?  

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @NJT

Thank you for the feedback! The on disk vs scheduler DB article walks through the workflow dependencies options you are referring to (I have updated the link to make this clearer)

Your desktop will need to be on but designer does not need to be open for designer with scheduler to run.

Best,

Jordan

NJT
11 - Bolide

Thanks!

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Fz
8 - Asteroid
Hey, Please i have a question about scheduling in the server. I want to scheduling woorkflow every time time if the input files update. if that is the case, the woorkflow run and the output file will be depositing in the network reporter. any help please !!! thank you
saikathalder
8 - Asteroid

Hello, I am trying to create a scheduler for Alteryx which will run 1 workflow as per schedule and publish a tableau tde file everytime. Finally we should be able to open tableau and refresh teh date to see the latest data everytime.

I checked the manage license section, and I see Alteryx designer license available in my system. There are no other licenses mentioned there. What does that mean? Will I be able to use the alteryx scheduler or not? Or do I need a Alteryx server as well? Currently I am the end user of Alteryx designer and do not have the admin rights. Thanks !

SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

@saikathalder if you have only 1 license (Designer) showing, your machine it not able to schedule jobs using the Designer with Scheduler option mentioned in the article. If you do now have access to a Server machine to schedule, please reach out to your account team to determine which option would be best for you.

saikathalder
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, I understand, that it is not possible from my license.

rgusaas
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am checking in to see if the Alteryx Designer with Scheduler License is still an option for version 2018.4.5.55178 or newer?  

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@rgusaas 
It is.  Please contact your Account Executive for pricing and further information!

saramm
6 - Meteoroid

I am connecting to Azure Databricks using In-DB connection of alteryx in my workflow. I want to schedule it, however, the workflow fails with an error related to the azure connection; Error: Tool #25: Error finding connection "ProductionAzure". Can someone help me resolve this error?

Thank you

maamek
7 - Meteor

I have the same problem as you @saramm