Alteryx Server Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Server experts.

Error: Unable to create temp directory lock file

MariaW
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

Issue

The following error is thrown when attempting to publish workflows from Designer to gallery:

Tool - 1: Unable to create temp directory lock file: "%ProgramData%\Alteryx\Service\Staging\...\__StageTemp\Engine...~.lock". 
Error: Access is denied. (5)

image.png

Environment Details

• Alteryx Designer
    • Any
  • Alteryx Server
    • Any

Cause

This error will occur if the user that is being used to run the workflow does not have the necessary permissions to the staging folder. 

Resolution

The staging folder specified under System Settings > Worker > General > Workspace contains temporary files, such as unpackaged workflows, or other files used to execute workflows. The user that is being used to run the workflow (this can vary depending on if a Run As user is specified or if workflow credentials are being used) needs to have the below permissions to this folder and all subfolders. 

• Permissions: Modify, Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Read, Write
 ​​​​​

Additional Resources

Comments
landwehl
5 - Atom

I was seeing this issue, that has been resolved, but now I'm seeing 2 error messages when trying to connect to a table in an Access database:

1) "You have found a bug.  Replicate, then let us know.  We shall fix it soon

2)  "The Designer X64 reported:  InboundNamedPipe GetOverlappedResult:  The pipe has been ended"

How do I resolve these issues?  

nbrenner
7 - Meteor

We run our workflows on server under a service account.  We have one user - the one who developed and deployed the workflow - who is getting a file error with not having access to the staging folder, but the rest of the department can run the workflow with no problems.  Again, it runs as a service account for all of us, but only one user - the developer - gets the file access issue to staging on the server.  Thoughts?