- Alteryx Server
- Version 2020.2
- SAML authentication
When attempting to test their IDP configuration via the "Verify IDP" button in the System Settings, users can experience the below error message:
Failed to start Authentication service. Check your settings and try again.
Certain settings on the server machine can cause this especially in environments with extensive security measures (no or limited internet connectivity).
In this case, different URLs were not trusted (i.e. it has not been added to your Trusted Site List on the Gallery machine):
- The URL of the Gallery (IDP URL in Alteryx System Settings - Gallery - General)
- The Identity Provider's URL (IDP URL in Alteryx System Settings - Gallery - Authentication)
Resolving this consists in adding the untrusted URLs to the Internet Options (on the machine hosting the Gallery for multi-node instances):
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click the Tools button, and then click Internet options
- Navigate to the Security tab.
- Click on Trusted sites and then click on the sites button
- Enter the URL and click on Add
- Click on Close when finished