Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Server experts.

Alteryx Gallery Series - The Lay of the Land 101: User Edition

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

This is Part 2 of the Alteryx Gallery Series - The Gallery Series only refers to the Alteryx Server where you can host your Private Alteryx Gallery. This Article with refer to 'Alteryx Gallery' as a privately hosted Gallery on the Alteryx Server. 

Part 1 Alteryx Gallery Series - The Lay of the Land 101: Gallery Admin Edition

Part 3 Alteryx Gallery Series: App Publishing & Version Control 101 - Alteryx Community 

Part 4 Alteryx Gallery Series: How to make the most of your Alteryx Gallery – Use Cases

Each section of the user interface is outlined and described below:

Often utilizing and navigating the Private Alteryx Gallery for the first time (or even for veterans) can be difficult. This article aims to make this process simpler by giving a step-by-step guide on where to find the main areas of the Alteryx Gallery, as well as those hidden features.  

Finding the Alteryx Gallery

• The URL is typically the ServerMachineName(or IP)/Gallery unless another domain has been defined.

**** Speak to your IT or Alteryx Server Contact to find URL address.

• If it is an internal server, the user will need to be logged into your organization’s VPN before accessing the Gallery.

Accessing the Gallery

• User visits the Gallery on their own:
  • Depending on your pre-defined user authentication setting, the user may be granted access to the Gallery the first time he or she visits the URL.
  • If your Gallery utilizes Windows Authentication, a Gallery Account is automatically created when a new user visits the site.
  • If your Gallery utilizes Built-In Authentication, the new user may create their own Account profile by “Joining” the Gallery from the Gallery home page.

• Gallery Admin invites user to the Gallery:
  • The Gallery Administrator may invite users to join the Gallery. This allows the Administrator to set up all of the users specific privileges before that user views the site.
  • If your Gallery utilizes Windows Authentication, the admin would enable “No Access”. You will receive no notification from Gallery once you have registered.
  • If your Gallery utilizes Built-In Authentication, the admin would disable the “Sign-Up Form” (Link to gallery admin page). The user will receive an invitation email and be asked to validate their account.

Lay of the Land: Everyday Gallery User

HOME is where the heart is”

• When you create a workflow, macro or app in the Alteryx Designer and upload in to the Alteryx Gallery you can CHOOSE to share your workflow to the Public Gallery (Home). You will need to be a Data Artisan to publish to the Alteryx Gallery (Link Permissions page).
  • Users with access to your Gallery URL may access the Public Gallery section. External users cannot view and run workflows in the Public Gallery unless they have been invited by an Admin and have network rights to access the Gallery website.

Example

Users often upload proof of concepts or demo applications to the Alteryx Gallery which other users can use for reference.

Pic 1.png

Public Gallery section that have been tagged (after publishing) with a specific keyword set by the Gallery Administrator.

The last of the thirteen DISTRICTS of Panem”

Districts are Alteryx workflows shared in the Public Gallery section that have been tagged (after publishing) with a specific keyword set by the Gallery Administrator.

Example

Districts are used for housing macros which are used within different internal departments.

Pic 2.png

“Welcome to my Private Studio

• A user will ONLY receive their own Private Studio if their user permission level (set by the Alteryx Gallery Admin at sign up or before) are designated an Data Artisan User. This will allow them to publish Alteryx workflows from their Desktop Designer.
  • By default, a Data Artisan will only see the workflows they have published themselves in the Private Studio section. To see content created by other Data Artisans, a workflow may be shared in the Public Gallery or via a Collection or Studio.

Capture.PNG

"Brand new Insights"

• New feature added in the Alteryx Server 2018.2 allowing you publish interactive charting directly into a web browser
  • This dashboarding features offers users the ability to filter and drill down into Analytical Insights

“You’re the chosen one, welcome to my Collection

• Collections are a means for ensuring only specific users may access workflows to which they are assigned.
  • Collections are managed by users NOT by the Gallery Administrator.
  • Collections are tied to one Private Studio only.
  • A user must have their own (paid) Private Studio OR be a member of another Private Studio in order to run workflows shared via a Collection.
  • Data Artisans can invite Users to a collection through the users tab inside of the collection. These Users will have to sign up to the Alteryx Gallery or be users in the same domain as the Alteryx Gallery is hosted on.
  • You can have Multiple Admins for collections

Pic 4.png

“Let’s see these Workflow Results

• Gallery Users may view the results/output of their own previous workflow executions.
  • You can never see the results of other user’s executions via the Gallery.

Pic 5.png

'Let's automate that for you' - Scheduler

• In Alteryx 11.0 the gallery Admin can allow users to schedule directly from the Alteryx Gallery. 
  • You can click on the scheduler tab and schedule your workflow by choosing the workflow and frequency you wish to run the schedule on.
  • You then get visibility to your schedules only, and have the ability to edit the schedule and remove the schedule from being run. 

scheduler user.png

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant 

Comments
VizChic
11 - Bolide

Hey Jordan,

I'm continuing to read through your post, and I'm a little confused.  On "Part 1" I understood that a Gallery Admin can create a new Subscription aka Private Studio, but in this post you're talking about "Private Studio" and "Studio" as two separate things.

Are you able to clarify the difference?

Thanks

Fi

wenjuanchen
8 - Asteroid

@VizChic I second the question.

I am also confused. I wonder if Private Studio can only have one owner, yet Studio can have multiple admins/owners? I suppose the Private Studio is created (by the system of himself/herself depending on the authentication method) when I user first started using Alteryx Gallery. Who can create the Studio and assign roles?

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @wenjuanchen & @VizChic

Sorry for the confusion as this feature is available on our public gallery, not on a company owned Alteryx Server deployment

I have updated the article to reflect this

Best,

Jordan

srikant96
9 - Comet

How come my published Work Flow cannot write to teh location I have set in the desktop version ( shared network )

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @srikant96

If you are receiving an error saying cannot find the location then please see the following:

This is likely because the Server cannot see the network locations you are referencing in the workflow

In your alteryx designer please ensure you have gone to option>>advanced options>>workflow dependencies and select 'All UNC' which will ensure the file location doesn't refer to a network letter, but to the \\servername\\

Another error could be...cannot write to this location:

The 'Run As' permission on the server doesn't have permission to write to this network location. You will have to update this accordingly in the Alteryx system settings on the server or change the Run As permission in the gallery admin section

Best,

jordan

srikant96
9 - Comet

Uncheck assets helped me achieve what i wanted to do ( Unchecked assets are picked up dynamically from the network location. ) 

comments by Alteryx Support ( must be a guru :-)) - 

It sounds like you may be saving the output file to the Gallery database rather than the network location. This feature is somewhat hidden. Can you try re saving the workflow to the Gallery and make sure the network location is in the output tool. Mine is Z drive.

( Jordan - thanks but could not replicate steps you have suggested )uncheck assets.PNG

srikant96
9 - Comet

Jordan - I never got any message that "location not found'. my problem was I never knew where it's writing , the desktop version perfectly writes to a network location and with assets unchecked, I see it in my desired network location ( latest refreshes ) 

Pamela
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Jordan -

Thanks for the information.  What are the differences and pros/cons of using a Collection versus a Private Studio with multiple artisans.  I understand that both solutions allow users to share workflows and that Collections are created and shared by artisans while Private Studios w/ multiple artisans are managed by Gallery admins.  What is best practice for an enterprise deployment? What are some of the key differences and pros/cons for both solutions. 

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Pamela

In the majority of deployments I have worked with the Private Studio would be for artisans who are publishing workflows and working collaboratively with designer workflows. This can be treated as more of a Q/A environment, typically with a member viewing and running the applications. Once these workflows have been validated these would be shared within collections for end users. 

To help outline some pro's and con's it would be useful to know on a high level how your artisans work together and also who are the end users in the gallery?

Best,

Jordan

grodriguez
7 - Meteor

Hi Jordan,

Regarding your last comment, my team is trying to come up with an architecture that uses the process you stated, with Private Studio's as a Q/A environment. We are having trouble with creating our architecture in Alteryx. Can you help?

Below is the process we have envisioned (similar to what we do for Tableau) but are having trouble recreating in Alteryx due to not much security controls being offered.

We have 2 environments UAT and Production. In UAT we will create a private studio for each developer, so they can publish workflows, test, validate, and publish to their departments collections once ready for their department's viewers to run the workflows.

Once the workflows have been validated by their team in the collection, the developer can request to promote the workflow to the Production environment, where the business can view and run workflows. The workflow must first be audited by a developer from a different department and then promoted to Production by the Alteryx admin. The developers will only have viewer access in Production.

Where we find issues is that developers should only have permissions to publish workflows from designer to the private studio and from the private studio to the collection. Developers should NOT have permissions to create new collections and add users to collections. Developers should also NOT be able to publish to the public gallery as this creates a compliance issue. Is there a way to prevent these issues from occurring?

Any tips are appreciated.