Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Server experts.

Alteryx Gallery Series: How to make the most of your Alteryx Gallery – Use Cases

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

This is Part 4 of the Alteryx Gallery Series - The Gallery Series only refers to the Alteryx Server where you can host your Private Alteryx Gallery. This Article with refer to 'Alteryx Gallery' as a privately hosted Gallery on the Alteryx Server. 

Part 1 Alteryx Gallery Series - The Lay of the Land 101: Gallery Admin Edition 
Part 2 Alteryx Gallery Series - The Lay of the Land 101: User Edition 
Part 3 Alteryx Gallery Series: App Publishing & Version Control 101 - Alteryx Community 

With the enormous potential of the Alteryx Gallery it is important to utilize all of its power into making better data driven decisions. But, what if you are unsure how to shape the Gallery for your particular use case? This article outlines a few of the potential ways you can do that.

Data Analyst

This is a simple way of organizing the Gallery if you have a small groups of Alteryx Content creators who develop end solutions for Business Decision Makers in certain internal departments.

• You have a few Data Artisans who create, parametrize and upload the Applications (Gallery Admin will need to assign Data Artisan level permissions for these users)
  • They all have private studios to develop in to push content up (Default)
  • They have the ability to create Collections for end users and invite them to join (End users will need to have signed up to the Alteryx Gallery or be in the Domain where the Alteryx Gallery is hosted)
  • The owner of the collection will then have to use the ‘users’ tab inside the collection to add the end user who will then be able to run the reports as a ‘Viewer’ of the Collection.

Departmental (Functional)

You have a group of Alteryx creators who make custom applications for particular departments. You would like to share these applications across multiple users within that department.

• You have a few Data Artisans who create, parametrize and upload the Applications (Gallery Admin will need to assign Data Artisan level permissions for these users)
  • The Gallery Admin has created a Studio (Subscription) for that particular department and given the Alteryx creators Artisan permissions to that studio. As Data Artisans can only belong to one studio at once, the application they build in the Alteryx Designer will now ‘land’ in that departments private studio. (Use this as a development platform).
  • Once the application have been tested, the Gallery Admin can then assign the Data Artisans to a collection whereby they can upload the finished applications. The Gallery Admin can then add the end users to that collection to run the applications as “Viewers”

Departmental (Consumer)

You have multiple different departments consuming these applications from one set of Alteryx creators. The end users just want to run the application without knowing any of the Alteryx behind the scenes logistics.

• As Data Artisans can only publish to one studio (subscription) at a time, it may be useful to have a cross-functional studio to house applications for different departments.
  • The Gallery Admin know can just assign one subscription/studio key to each Data Artisan.
  • The Data Artisan uploads to this one cross-functional studio
  • Once the applications have been uploaded to the Studio they can then be published to the end users in the specific department collections. The users have already been invited to that collection by the Gallery Admin.

Hierarchy (Varied End Users)

You have a range of end users requesting detailed reporting

• The Gallery Admin assigns a cross-functional studio for all Data Artisans.
  • Analysts require a greater range of detail for their UI on their applications. Therefore, the Gallery Admin creates a collection for analysts and invites the Data Artisan to publish the more detailed applications here.
  • Management require more cohesive and precise reporting so these application are hosted in a different collection for these users.
  • All of the end users (analysts & management) are invited as viewers to just run the workflows.

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant 

Comments
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

The description given for Hierarchy really seems like there are only two tiers.  Has anyone been able to make an efficient multi-tiered Gallery?

I'm thinking of five or more tiers.  Could you illustrate what that would look like?

Cedric
8 - Asteroid

I'm still trying to figure out the difference between a collection and a district.

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Cedric,

A collection is private to those people you invite within the users tab. A district is going to be public for everyone who has access to the Gallery URL. It is essentially just the 'Home' page but broken down into specific categories. For example, companies may post sample macros into a district for everyone to consume, whereas a macro which contains private data or a specific type of analysis which is specific to a team would be better shared in a collection where you can only get access via email invite. 

Let me know if you have any further questions. 

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant 

Cedric
8 - Asteroid

@JordanB Thanks so much. That's exactly what I needed!

MikeN72
7 - Meteor

@JordanB. Thank you for the articles - really useful.

Can I ask - are there any specific things you need to do when building an app that will reside in the Gallery (private studio) and will be run via the Gallery API - i.e. any specific tools that need to be used in the app workflow itself to enable it to be called via the Gallery API?

I understand that the calling of the app via the Gallery API uses OAuth so needs the key & secret to build all the OAuth parameters to be used in the request, but I am asking more specifically about the app and how it outputs data. 

I know from working with apps and calling them using the Alteryx Engine API that the Alteryx wixzard app (workflow saved as .yxwz) needs to use the Generic Tool to output the results from the workflow so that they can be picked up by the application that is calling the Alteryx app (it also needs the interface tool inputs and related Actions). Are there any special tools like the Generic Tool that need to be used for apps in the Gallery when they output data  - that the Gallery API requires?

Thanks

msmith
7 - Meteor

Our IT department is just setting up server for us.  I'm really looking forward to the new functionality and ability to create end-user input apps to replace harvesting inputs from emails!