Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

notification if there is a failure in workflow result in alteryx gallery

Hi,

We have more than 100 workflows scheduled in different intervals for a day. Inorder to monitor this we have to manually check in the workflow results if the workflow ran successfully or not. 

Say a workflow is scheduled every 30mins then we have to check this 48times in a day manually in the Gallery results if it ran successfully or not.

Similarly we will have N number of workflows scheduled with different intervals.

We feel its too time consuming to manually verify this.

It will be good if there is a notification when there is a failure in the run, so we can check it only then rather than checking it every 30mins.

11 Comments
DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@Shru ,

There are two ways to go about this. One, is that your workflows can have email alerts using the Events tab in the Workflow Configuration window. This allows you to setup emails if the workflow fails.

You also have the ability to set server error logs on the server. There you can have the server output the workflows that error and the errors they contain.

DanM

Shru
5 - Atom

Hi DanM,

Thanks for the reply, first option seems unlikely to achieve cos most of the workflows are in prod and will not be so feasible to add this email alters in every workflow.

Second options seems good. Can you provide the steps to set server error logs on the server.

Thanks 

Shruthi

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@Shru ,

Actually I forgot. There is an even easier way. We have the Alteryx Server Usage app. You can find this on the downloads page where you can get the installers for new versions of alteryx. There are two tools in the app. The first tool you will need to enter your server information into the tool. Server name, password etc. You will then want to choose the Tableau option in that tool. Run the workflow and you will see that the data contains a status field that will show if a workflow completed successfully. You can then either use the Tableau output if you like or create a custom one of your own. 

https://alteryx.flexnetoperations.com/flexnet/operationsportal/entitledDownloadFile.action?downloadP...

apichart
7 - Meteor

Still, would be great if we can configure this on Alteryx Server to send a notification when a failure occurs. Wouldn't it be so nice to be able to configure this for each workflow, collection or all of them at once?

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Not Planned

Thank you for your feedback and idea!

Our server product team has reviewed this idea and at this time there are no plans to include further notification systems outside of the pre-existing Email Events, Server Usage and Error Logs. Due to this I'm updating this idea to Not Planned, however should this change or we be able to include a greater notification system in the future we'll be sure to update this idea back to Under Review.

adarsh2707
8 - Asteroid

@DanM Thank you for your valuable input
I just have another question similar to this 
I need to identify Jobs that always fail so that I can de-activate them to free some capacity. How would I be able to find out the history of the workflow runs status or would you know how to tackle this issue ?

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@adarsh2707 

Yes! You can get to that information. There are a couple of ways to get to it. The easiest is to go to downloads.alteryx.com and as long as you have access to the Server section you can download the usage report to run against your server instance. You can also query the database directly. You may need to use the service data parser macro (which is included in the usage report) to get that info. You can also open the Designer Scheduler interface (Options->View Schedules) and sort on Result (descending to start with Corrupt and Error).

If you don't have access to the server area on the downloads page your server admin should or whomever controls the admin license\user.

adarsh2707
8 - Asteroid

Hi @DanM 

I did not quite get this
Could you please explain it further

Sorry for the inconvinience

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@adarsh2707 you will need to go here

and download the Server Usage Report tool. You will be asked to sign in.

DanM_0-1665502483706.png

adarsh2707
8 - Asteroid

@DanM I do have this as well

and the excel document and pdf document associated with it 

But I am unable to find this information