Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Time to update the number of cores for Alteryx Server in initial package ?

Hello all,

This may be a little controversial. As of today, when you buy an Alteryx Server, the basic package covers up to 4 cores :
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/How-Alteryx-defines-cores-for-licensi...

I have always known that. But these last years, the technology, the world has evolved. Especially the number of cores in a server. As an example, AMD Epyc CPU for server begin at 8 cores :
https://www.amd.com/en/processors/epyc-7002-series

image.png

So the idea is to update the number of cores in initial package for 8 or even 16 cores. It would :
-make Alteryx more competitive
-cost only very few money
-end some user frustration

Moreover, Alteryx Server Additional Capacity license should be 4 cores.

Best regards,

Simon

26 Comments
JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

any updates on this?

TheCoffeeDude
11 - Bolide

i'm not holding my breath on getting an answer anytime soon. I hear that the minimum cores will be doubled in a future version. If you put your conspiracy hat on, double the number of minimum cores, keep the same price per core, = extra $ for Alteryx. 😐

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

@TheCoffeeDudeHello. double the minimum number of cores at the same total price would be ok, but at the same price by core, that would mean double the entry price , an entry price that's already pretty high, whih would lead to less sales. In other term, a commercial suicide.

Best regards,

Simon

i_love_databases
8 - Asteroid

When it's just for automation, wouldn't it be cheaper to use an Alteryx Designer with a huge number of cores and RPA to automate?

Just asking for a friend.

TheCoffeeDude
11 - Bolide

In a nutshell, Server gives you the ability to do version control on workflows, the ability for multiple users to schedule workflows, and share connections. If you have the Alteryx Desktop Scheduler (optional?), lots of cores on your desktop, not a lot of users, and use your preferred version control - then yes, Desktop is cheaper. 

i_love_databases
8 - Asteroid

@TheCoffeeDude with RPA, you don't even need the Alteryx Desktop Scheduler...

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Great idea @simonaubert_bd .

In addition to all of your great points, with the release of the AMP engine as the default server engine, Alteryx says the minimum amount of cores needed for the AMP engine to be enabled is 8.

Of course you could use the E2 engine with a 4 core environment but, it only makes sense for the basic license to adhere to the new default.

https://help.alteryx.com/20223/server/amp-engine-best-practices

Under system requirements.

Best regards,

Fernando Vizcaino

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

@fmvizcainoOuch, I didn't even notice the contradiction between licensing and minimum requirements. Well..

Hello @NicoleJ Could we have someone from Alteryx reacting to this onev, please ? We may have some issues with customers migrating to Alteryx 2022.3

Best regards,

Simon

TheCoffeeDude
11 - Bolide

@ericbohmert@mheinze - this is a huge issue. The version of Alteryx Server changes the minimum core requirement. This new requirement will effectively halves the number of workers that my company will have to process things (four 4-core workers will become two eight-core workers), making a bad situation worse. Significantly worse. 

It's time for Alteryx to face a new reality with core licensing. 

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello all,

AMD Epyc 9004 now begins at... 16 cores

https://www.amd.com/en/processors/epyc-9004-series

simonaubert_bd_0-1675924892968.png

Meanwhile, Alteryx AMP engine requires 8 cores..

It's more than time to make this idea real and make the initial package 16 cores instead of 4 !!

This idea has been under review for years now while the competitors take some advance.

@AlteryxCommunityTeam @NicoleJ Can we expect an update at that point? It has some impact on sales (Server looks too expensive) and on actual deployment (my customer refuse to adopt the AMP engine).

Best regards,

Simon