Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Specify Order of Output in Gallery App Results

When posting an app to the Gallery, if the app has, say, one PCXML output for the user to see, and one Excel file for the user to download, it would be helpful for to be able to specify which shows first to the user.  For example, I have a PCXML that gives the user summary tables, and instructions on how to go to the drop down above and select the second report, click on the Excel icon, and download it.  But if the Excel report shows up first, then there is no ability to give them instructions and many simply won't be savy enough to go find the PCXML in the drop down.

45 Comments
JArtNaranjo
7 - Meteor

Oh, it is very annoying.

I dare say any gallery artisan with flows that output more than a single file will greatly benefit from this enhancement.

Hopefully the "fix" can be implemented soon.

TanyaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@JArtNaranjo @mbarone Quick question about the expectation here. Are you expecting the app developer to set the order of output, the owner of the app, or the user of the app?

From your descriptions, I gather that the primary benefit being discussed is that a developer can create a workflow with multiple outputs and set the order. The user would have no control over the output order. Is that correct?

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @TanyaS ,

For me, I would prefer the app developer.  I would envision this functionality in the UI window when saving to the Gallery.

BGoode
6 - Meteoroid

I would also prefer the app developer. 

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Maybe in the workflow assets section of the UI window when uploading to the Gallery.  Add a column with numeric up/downs that let you pick the order (where it ranges from 1 to the number of outputs).

JArtNaranjo
7 - Meteor

Hi @TanyaS, thank you very much for looking into this.

The developer should have access to determine or specify the output order. It feels counter-intuitive not to have that. And just like @mbarone mentioned, sometimes you want to "display" messages to the app user whether informational or instructional, best way would be with a text on pcxml but there is no way to guarantee it will be the first file on the order.

I don't see value on the user having to do "extra clicks" to sort the outputs on a specific order (maybe there is, I just haven't think of it).

TanyaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@mbarone 

"For me, I would prefer the app developer. I would envision this functionality in the UI window when saving to the Gallery."

This is a setting you'd want to be per upload, rather than setting it per canvas?

steven-barsalou
8 - Asteroid

I'd prefer that it be set in Alteryx Designer somewhere the tool configuration of the canvas.  I'd rather store as many settings as possible in the workflow to prevent having to reset these types of settings if uploading a newer version of an app.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

This is how I was thinking of it:

When you go to upload your app, on the assets screen, wherever there is an output file, there'd be an option to add a numeric value that will specify the display order:

2019-09-26 12_21_35_YX01.jpg2019-09-26 12_21_35_YX02.jpg2019-09-26 12_21_35_YX03.jpg

apolly
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Thank you all for providing additional thoughts on what you would like to see. And @mbarone for the detail! I thought it would be Tanya's team to get this through, but it isn't I will work with the appropriate team to get prioritized.