Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Server Results purge should not be date-based

Currently, Alteryx Server has a setting for how many days to keep Results from scheduled workflows, which prevents your Results log from getting too large.

Unfortunately, this setting is universal to all workflows, regardless of schedule.  If you have monthly jobs sharing a server with jobs that run every 5 minutes (which we currently do), and you set your limit to 30 days, you get at most 1 result from monthly jobs, but 8,640 results from your 5-minute jobs!

A better option would be to keep the most recent X results from any schedule (where X is user-configurable).

5 Comments
sgabriel62
7 - Meteor

@rob_dup_535

Your comment makes perfect sense as normal operations.   As you enable expiration to be set to 30 days - anything older than 30 days is expired and removed.  You should have your most current monthly job listed in your results tab.  If not then its based on the date and time you enabled your expiration processes to begin.

What do you mean - the results should be user-configurable?   Also keep in mind, I'm sure you already know - this expiration process can be applied to schedules as well to clean that area up for non-essential or no longer needed ones.

Let  me know

Steve

rob_cottrell
7 - Meteor

Steve,

I would like to be able to set my server to keep the last 10 results from each schedule.  Someone at a different company may want to set their server to keep the last 5, or the last 20.  That's what I mean by user-configurable -- let the administrator of each server decide that threshold.

-Rob

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Inactive

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx

The status of this idea has been changed to 'Inactive'. This status indicates that:

1. The idea has not had activity in the form of likes or comments in over a year.

2. The idea has not reached ten likes.

3. The idea is still in the 'New Idea' status. 

However, this doesn't mean your idea won't be implemented! The Community can still like and comment on this idea. With enough renewed interest, this idea can be brought back into the 'New Idea' status. 

Thank you for contributing to the Alteryx Community and the Alteryx Product Idea Boards!

brianwolfe1986
5 - Atom

I will second this idea. Having date-based purging for workflow results is very cumbersome for organizations with wide-ranging workflow frequencies (which would seem to be most, from my perspective). Either you set the threshold low and miss out on those that only run occasionally or set the threshold high and have very long wait times (4-5 minutes is not uncommon) for those workflows which run very frequently.

It makes much more sense to instead have count-based purging so that both very frequent and infrequently scheduled workflows can have a reasonable amount of run history without being burdensome.

-Brian