Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Schedule Configured Analytic Apps

I've seen various solutions/workarounds but this seems to be a table-stakes ask?  When scheduling a workflow I should be able to specify which parameter values to run with.  Just two of many use case examples - 

Use case #1 - a single analytic app could be scheduled multiple times, each schedule specifying a different line of business

Use case #2 - credentials, allow the user to schedule a workflow with their saved credentials.  When their credentials change all they would have to do is update the schedule parameters

(If you know a better way I'm all ears, not the API thought that isn't a bad way to do it, just not super Easy)

6-25-2020 5-39-35 PM.png

15 Comments
KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Hello! Thank you for your feedback and including such nice visuals. If you haven't yet, please be sure to check out or Submission Guidelines as they go over the process behind the idea board in a bit greater detail.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

this would be great. I have a couple schedules that fall under your use case #1. For example, I have 3 separate workflows for a single job where I'm just changing an input parameter. It would be nice if I could just have 1 workflow and the ability to feed in my input parameter when I setup the schedule. 

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Under Review

Thank you for your feedback!

We're interested in including this idea into the product, however we need to complete some research to better understand the technical and time requirements that would come if we were to implement this idea. While we complete this research, I'm updating this idea to Under Review. We'll be sure to update the status on this idea again once we have completed the necessary research.

ephij
9 - Comet

Excellent news thanks for the update.

AlteryxUserFL
11 - Bolide

Yes, this would be a very good feature!

pujaguptars
6 - Meteoroid

Good to Know !

roneymukkadan
5 - Atom

Would be great if this feature goes live !!

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello,

This is the reason why we still use the command line where you can pass parameters (especially environment or date...) :

https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/run-workflows-command-line

But sure, I would like to use the gallery, a better/safer UI than command line and a lot easier than API ( https://gallery.alteryx.com/api-docs/ ).

There is a lot of change to bring to Alteryx Server Task : ability to chain tasks together, passing parameter to task, etc..

Best regards,

Simon

davas
7 - Meteor

this should be added IMO as it's a serious limitation of Gallery scheduling. I should be able to mimic what the user does as part of the schedule creation.

jgomel
7 - Meteor

Hi @ephij 

You may be better off building your own solution leveraging the Alteryx API's.

That is what I have set up in our team and it works very well and allows for more flexibility.

• Checking / Logging workflow status (Success/Fail)
  • Creating Dependencies between flows w/o the need of chained apps
  • Ability to schedule applications
  • Ability to to set an iteration limit (rerun flows on Fail)

If you are interested I can provide the basic details to get started.