Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

OAuth2 - Alteryx Gallery API Integration

I’ve had a query from a Team here at my organisation regarding OAuth2. They are trying to investigate whether a Robotic Process Automation Tool can be integrated with the Alteryx Gallery API.

It uses OAuth2 but my understanding is Alteryx Gallery uses OAuth1. 

Can Alteryx Gallery API be enhanced to use OAuth2? A plan to support OAuth2 authentication for a REST API in a future release?   

24 Comments
JohnPelletier
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks, @Josh_WI ! We appreciate your feedback.

adrianp112
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

Adding my like to this idea...

Use Case 1 > Integrating the server product with CICD Processes which sit externally from the server. Teams in our org use a variety of tools for this (Atlassian Stack / Microsoft Azure DevOps) , for centralised processes.

Use Case 2 > Integrating the server product with enterprise scheduling / orchestration tool (BMC Ctrl-M). Important for managed processes that are monitored by centralised support teams, without this integration Alteryx remains departmentally managed and growth is hampered.

Use Case 3 > RPA has already been called out and this is a big opportunity as RPA is quite pervasive in my org and I get asked for this integration (UI Path) all the time.

Thank You!

JohnPelletier
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@adrianp112 Thanks for the use cases...which API functionality would you need for CI/CD?

We have some ideas already but would love to validate them based on your feedback.

Can you describe the functionality in terms of REST functionality, such as

POST <something you need to be able to create>,

PUT <something you need to modify>,

GET <something you need to read> and

DELETE <something you need to clean up>?

For example, I imagine you'd want to be able to GET a workflow package in order to push it into Git or SVN.

You may want to POST a workflow to Server after someone committed it to Git and it's deemed ready for production. Are there other examples you can name?

And for Orchestration, what information would you need to be able to extract from executed workflows? Status and output files only?

adrianp112
7 - Meteor

@JohnPell

Re: CICD>> On the money here!

For example, I imagine you'd want to be able to GET a workflow package in order to push it into Git or SVN.

You may want to POST a workflow to Server after someone committed it to Git and it's deemed ready for production. Are there other examples you can name?

Re: Orchestration

POST >> Run and Execute workflows (understand this is already a feature)

GET >> Workflow status and other details ... output files that would be interesting feature... but we are using Alteryx in this sense to update a table(s)... 

CiaranA
10 - Fireball

@JohnPelletier  - I've been asked this question again by a Team internally at my organisation. We really would like to progress on our ability to trigger Alteryx Gallery workflows from RPA tools using OAuth2 - Do you have any update on this?

JohnPelletier
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@CiaranA  We are considering this very seriously for an upcoming release. I can't really commit to anything more than that right now, but it's top of mind for us. Please feel free to ping me again in about two months when I should have an update on our plans.

adrianp112
7 - Meteor

Great news that this seems to be hopefully getting traction. 🙂  

CiaranA
10 - Fireball

Hi @JohnPelletier is there any update on this?

We are being asked weekly about this feature and need to know a likely timeline to avoid building a proxy service to perform Oauth1 if Oauth 2 is around the corner in the next release. 

JohnPelletier
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@CiaranA  Yes, we have plans around this. Since I can't announce any commitments here, I can only say that we are currently working on it and have the basic foundations already working internally. We may have a beta program for the API when we get closer to release, so please continue to reach out.

JohnPelletier
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@CiaranA  I also forgot to mention for anyone else following this thread that we are planning <no commitments> to offer OAuth 2 on our legacy user APIs (Subscription and User V2) as well.