Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Manage permissions with user groups

Hello Alteryx Server Admins,

It would be fantastic to manage users' permissions with user groups. This would help manage all users with permission to create collections and schedules from a centralized page.

Something like this:

fmvizcaino_0-1661196491480.png

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

7 Comments
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @fmvizcaino this is a great idea! Currently, I'm using the v3 API to update bulk update permissions from an AD Group. It could be something implemented in the UI, for sure!

TheCoffeeDude
11 - Bolide

It would be awesome if this were implemented. API would be ok, but I don't want to spend the resources (mainly time) when the UI on the server can make it easier to maintain for everyone.

Brayndasilva
7 - Meteor

We definitely need new features and this one would be just perfect. Essential actually

marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

That is a great thing to have! Implement that to the UI would help many admins.

Franz
9 - Comet

To be honest I don't agree with this idea... The whole point of AD integration is to manage & control access & permissions on the server via an existing & company managed users' & roles entity, from one place. Creating parallel groups just for Alteryx is not the best approach. This will only make the administration more complicated.

(We do use the Custom groups because there is no direct way to use the AD Groups for example in the Shared Credentials. That's why with the DCM there is no sharing available via AD groups for the time being. Users have to be maintained one by one manually);

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@fmvizcaino Great Idea. Would definitely make administration much more intuitive.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Franz ,

Thank you for your feedback. 

I do agree with you when we are talking about enterprise environments, but even on these type of enviroments, you would benefit from having these options for AD groups. Even though the print doesn't show, the idea is to have both options available.

But this option would benefit the gallery admins for built-in authentication and any environment (especially the smaller ones) without IT involvement. For 80% of our clients, this would be applicable.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino