Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Collections Administration

As a server administrator, I would like to have more control over collections.  I have a user who is in charge of a collection out of office, and we have some users who need to get to be added to the collection to run workflows.  As admin of the server, I would like to be able to add users to this collection, modify permissions, modify workflows, etc.  This would be necessary both for when users are temporarily out of the office as well as if someone were to leave the company.

51 Comments
SandeepChayanam
7 - Meteor

It would be good to expand the scope of the gallery "Admin/Curator" roles to be the admin of all the collections as well by default.

For instance, "Admin/Curator" should have access to all the collections created by artisan(s) by default (via the Collections tab**). Currently "artisans" manually need to add "Admins" to let them view the collection(s) that are being created. This also helps admins to view which collection is shared to which members etc.,

Thanks,

Sandeep.

levell_x_dunn
10 - Fireball

I concur @koryC.  I know that the original design was for the public to work with and get new modules and tools from Alteryx, but for the private gallery the ability to have studio's and collections roll into another one or greater collections, is a must. The current structure is good for a person or team to work in a Silo or everyone to be in the same studio.

It would be nice if you removed the option on only allowing a person to be an artisan and a member to only one studio at a time and if you made the location a drop down, then the user can choose which studio to upload to.

Upload to Gallery Option.jpg

levell_x_dunn
10 - Fireball

I concur Admins need more control and view of what's going on in the gallery

BMnr
5 - Atom

Has this been looked into? I have a case right now were an employee has left the company and we no longer have access to maintain any collections that user built in the past. The only option that seems to be available is to completely rebuilt the entire structure.

MattB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thank you @SandeepChayanam and everyone for the idea!  Please continue to share feedback and ideas as this helps us refine our product roadmap. In regards to this topic, we are seeing more and more customers interested in flexibility and admin controls around managing collections. A similar idea was posted here, Collections Administration . I will be sure we discuss this topic internally and see about potentially getting it moved earlier in our roadmap.

MattB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Changed to Under Review

harend
8 - Asteroid

When users ask me to look at a collection to help them debug, I as a server administrator cannot see into it. Tableau Server seems to have this piece really well done with regard to projects. I can understand users not wanting admins to be able to run workflows but being able to see the collections on a server as well as their permissions could to help from creating many duplicate collections. The other piece that would be awesome is the ability to designate users as being able to run workflows in a collection. 

MattB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi @harend,

Thanks for the great suggestion. The general idea of adding flexibility for admins around managing collections is one of the most requested features. Therefore, it is high on our priority list and something we hope to improve upon in an upcoming release.  Please keep the ideas coming and we welcome any product feedback.

In case others find this post, here are the other two posts I know of so far that have requested something similar...

Gallery Admin - Entire Collections access by default

Collections Administration

KJennings
9 - Comet

There needs to be a means for admin to transfer ownership of workflows and/or collections,  as the admin currently has no access to collections. If a user were to leave the company abruptly today, it would be a scramble and long manual process to try to identify, download, and resave all workflows that they may own.  It would not be possible to identify who had permissions to those workflows if they were maintained within a collection.

MattB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Hi @KJennings,

Thank you for posting the idea! The ability for admins to have more visibility and control over collections is on the roadmap. I have included a few links to similar Community posts so that we can continue to monitor the demand. Please continue to share feedback and ideas!

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/allow-admins-to-see-all-collections-and-help-...

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/Gallery-Admin-Entire-Collections-access-by-de...

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/Collections-Administration/idi-p/23575