Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Allow Transfer of Owner from one Workflow to Another by an Admin

I am noticing what I think it's a big gap in terms of turnover and job changes.  Even though you can add workflows to a Collection for development and update purposes. Only the original owner/publisher can see the version history for a workflow. At least that appears to be the case in 2020.1

Is there any discussion for the road map to include a way to transfer the ownership of a workflow from one user to another? this would alleviate the need to publish a brand new version and then reset all the scheduling. 

49 Comments
JohnPelletier
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hey folks, thanks for the feedback, and sorry for the challenges.  

This is why we're trying to get rid of private studios...the studios boundaries make sharing rules more difficult. If you move an asset out of a private studio, you can remove access for anyone else who was in the PS.

We are working on a solution to resolve all this, coming soon. 

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thanks for the effort @JohnPelletier, I appreciate it. Looking forward to see studios going away, I totally agree and understand the challenge!

Akshu2020
7 - Meteor

Hi @JohnPelletier, is there an update on this? is this still in the implementation stage? can we anticipate it in near future by any chance?

cjayachandran
5 - Atom

I agree with previous comments. Changing ownership of the workflows. jobs in the gallery is much needed feature for the administrators if this can't be added to other roles. 

JohnPelletier
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I've moved to managing a new product in Alteryx, but I'll see if we can get you an answer soon.

AudreyMcPfe
7 - Meteor

I totally get that there are dependencies and strategic changes coming down the pike, but this feels like a pretty big gap.  Turnover is something all organizations need to manage, regardless of their size.

Ideally, I would like to see a band-aid, a macro or SOMETHING that enables the change of ownership without downloading and re-uploading (and then rescheduling) a file while the product team is working on the more cohesive solution.

@AnnaELawrence 

AudreyMcPfe
7 - Meteor

I totally get that there are dependencies and strategic changes coming down the pike, but this feels like a pretty big gap.  Turnover is something all organizations need to manage, regardless of their size.

Ideally, I would like to see a band-aid, a macro or SOMETHING that enables the change of ownership without downloading and re-uploading (and then rescheduling) a file while the product team is working on the more cohesive solution.

Also, from the OP:  "Only the original owner/publisher can see the version history for a workflow. At least that appears to be the case in 2020.1"   <-- this is a whole other ball of wax.  We also need a way to bring transparency to version control and run history across users who support the same functional area without the number of clicks currently needed to go through the schedule tab on the collection page.

@AnnaELawrence 

stvnhdmpa
8 - Asteroid

I think this could be a workaround for some situations.  If one person is leaving and a new person is coming in, you could put the new person in the old person's private studio and rename the studio.  Since you can only be in one private studio at a time, I know this is only useful for the new person that doesn't have a workflows already in their studio.

As we have people leaving, we are just leaving the workflows in the private studio of the old person so we don't lose the version history.  If we need to deal with something only the owner can do, we will temporarily put someone in that studio.  I think there are only a few things, like sharing workflows, making history available, and etc that the owner can do that others can't.  

Fingers crossed, they get this working in the near future.

NicolasSz
11 - Bolide

I'm waiting so much this feature, mandatory !! 

AAnne
5 - Atom

I'm yet again spending time that could be better spent downloading workflows, reuploading them under my account, and recreating the associated schedules because an employee left the team. This is a pretty big inconvenience. My Tableau server takes no time at all, and can even be assigned to the outgoing employee as a wrapup task. Meanwhile in Alteryx, it's a long and tedious process.