Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Add the ability to prioritize Apps for Curators

I'd like to request the ability for the Curators to change the priority on Apps in the Gallery.

Today we have a system where users are not allowed to set the priority on workflows. The Curators change the priority of scheduled workflows based on workflow runtime/ business need by going to Gallery Admin> Jobs> Scheduled Workflows, and then editing the schedule priority.

The problem that that we have a numbers of Gallery Members/ Viewers that run Apps through the day that are very fast to run, but depending on how big is the queue they can several minutes/ hour until a spot is free to run.

If would be very helpful to get a better UX if the curator can choose which apps should have a higher priority to run.

Thanks,

Mauricio Estevez

11 Comments
markthepaz
6 - Meteoroid

+1 on this, I didn't realize we couldn't update the priority on ad hoc workflows/apps in gallery, only on scheduled workflows.

Haydn2803
6 - Meteoroid

Was going to raise a very similar idea, but found this post first.

Curators are actually able to grant Users the rights to set job Priority, which is how we are getting around this.  i.e. users with this permission can set the Job Priority of the app / workflow they are running. 

Haydn2803_0-1645800170363.png

Pitfalls to this approach:

(1)  This permission has to be granted for each user individually, so is time consuming to set up and manage for anything other than a handful of users.

(2)  Job priority must be set each time a user runs a workflow / app, otherwise it will default to Low and join the back of the job queue, as described above.  (Our) users often forget to set the Priority when running the job (the UI isn't brilliant).

Suggestion:  Allow Curators to assign workflows / apps a default Job Priority (other than Low) for manual runs.

Many thanks

Haydn

DanHare
11 - Bolide

Upvoted, thanks.

markthepaz
6 - Meteoroid

Has anyone looked into setting the default for job prioritization to be higher than low? I'm reading the following article and from what it sounds like, if we set the Quality of Service from 0 (low) to something like 1 (Medium) then we can likely have all manual runs be prioritized over scheduled runs that don't need to take priority. I haven't implemented this yet, but looking out to see if anyone with this thought of job prioritization has tried this and what the result came to be: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Job-Prioritization-and-Worker-Node-As...

Haydn2803
6 - Meteoroid
Has anyone looked into setting the default for job prioritization to be higher than low? I'm reading the following article and from what it sounds like, if we set the Quality of Service from 0 (low) to something like 1 (Medium) then we can likely have all manual runs be prioritized over scheduled runs that don't need to take priority. I haven't implemented this yet, but looking out to see if anyone with this thought of job prioritization has tried this and what the result came to be: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Job-Prioritization-and-Worker-Node-As...

Quality of Service is for assigning a given Worker node to a defined level of job priority.  I.e. you use QoS to tell a Worker to only run jobs that are at or above a certain Priority level.  This is to help manage worker assignment in a multi node server environment.  If you only have a single node, then changing this setting to e.g. '2' will mean that only jobs with a Priority of High or above will run at all.  More info here: https://help.alteryx.com/20213/server/worker 

If you have a multi node environment, there are a number of features you can leverage (such as QoS, and also Worker Tags) to assign certain workflows / jobs (in this example manually run Apps vs scheduled workflow runs), to different worker nodes, reducing the possibility of queues for App runs as described in Mauricio's initial post.  The issue thus really pertains to single node environments, for the most part.

markthepaz
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the insight! Yes, we only have a single node environment so this issue pertains to us as well. I'll keep watching to see if there are any other thoughts here for those of us running into queues with manual and scheduled workflows/apps. I'll also keep the QoS in mind if we ever do decide to go into a multi-node environment.

Haydn2803
6 - Meteoroid

No problem!  As an interim, as per my first post above you can give users the ability to prioritise jobs, and then instruct them to set priority each time they run an app to something higher than Low (or higher than the majority of your scheduled workflows are prioritised at).  They just need to remember to do this each time, which in my experience they do not...

Bren312
8 - Asteroid

+1 for this; sounds like a great idea.

SergioR
5 - Atom

+1 Yes please!

Chris_Leimenstoll
6 - Meteoroid

This would be a HUGE win for us to be implemented, our team has a collaborative scorecard commentary tool used by many clients, and they are often complaining their comments time out or take too long to get loaded through the app we built. We often end up needing to manually backload comments at the last minute before the team call. Getting to prioritize this would be a lifesaver!