Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

"System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater."

kniino
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I was trying to create Oracle DB data connection on Gallery(2019.4) and faced "System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater." error.

I installed instantclient_12_1 but it did not work.

Appreciate any help there is. 

6 REPLIES 6
KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@kniino

I would recommend you reach out to our Support Team at support@alteryx.com for this issue since the error might be directly related to a unique configuration in your gallery set up.

It was a security issue for us.  The users need access to the Oracle Client folder and subfolder on the box to be able to access the client.  To that end, our users don't have access to the box, so we added the access permissions to the Alteryx application account (the admin account entered at install) and then Alteryx was able to access the Oracle Client when trying to create a data connection.

KJennings
9 - Comet

Hi...

I am currently working this issue with one of our users, and feel that this may be the solution based on the circumstances involved.  Currently it seems to be related to the workstation as the user has not yet been able to create a successful workflow to attempt to publish to the server.

Could you please elaborate on what exactly you modified permissions on?

Thanks for your assistance,

Kevin Jennings

nbrenner
7 - Meteor

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/fabdulwahab/system-data-oracleclient-requires-oracle-...

When we applied to the Oracle Client folder, a popup came up asking if we should apply to subfolders as well.  We clicked Yes, or OK, whichever it was and it raced down through subfolders as well.

KJennings
9 - Comet

@nbrenner 

Thanks for the quick response.  I should have more clear in my question.  Did you need to make any changes on the server, or were all changes made on the workstation?

Thanks!

Kevin J

nbrenner
7 - Meteor

We had shared the article with our IT support team and they shared screen with us while they performed the change on the Alteryx server.