Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

"Publish to Tableau Server" Tool on Alteryx Server App returns error

gjunhao96
8 - Asteroid

Hello all,

I'm trying to use the Publish to Tableau Server tool within an app on Alteryx server.

The problem is that the Publish to Tableau Server tool (in designer) will first write the data into my C drive (as seen in the image). 

Picture1.png

Resulting in error on App:

Error opening the file "Tool #227: C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Engine\Engine_7536_4db0e047066d5040aed74227a079e4ee_\XXXXXXX.hyper": The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (123) (ToolId: -1)

Is there any way to write it to the same shared folder? I tried to point temporary files to the right folder (Configuration --> Run Time --> Temporary Files) but the Publish to Tableau tool still writes to C drive.

UPDATE: 

I noticed that the app actually DOES publish the data to Tableau Online and also export the file as an .xlsx as intended. However, the app returns an error.

14 REPLIES 14
gjunhao96
8 - Asteroid

Tried to point temporary files to the right folder (Configuration --> Run Time --> Temporary Files) but the Publish to Tableau tool still writes to C drive.

DataNath
17 - Castor

@gjunhao96 are you able to show your configuration of the tool? And/or your wider workflow? Would help!

gjunhao96
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for the reply.

Here is the screenshot of the configuration tool and a small part of the workflow. The workflow is the second part of a 2 part chained app.

Basically the workflow creates rows of data that I want to publish to Tableau Online to create visualizations. 

Additionally, I also notice that the app actually DOES publish the data to Tableau Online and also export the file as an .xlsx as intended. However, the app returns an error.

Hope this helps.

DataNath
17 - Castor

What is tool #227? If it's showing an error but your app is still working as intended, can you disable this? The only other thing I can think of without looking to deep into the flow is using relative filepaths instead of absolutes, as it seems like the app is still looking for things hosted locally. If you go to Options > Advanced Options > Workflow Dependencies, trying using 'All Relative'?

gjunhao96
8 - Asteroid

Tool 227 is found within the Publish to Tableau tool macro. I have tried to uncheck the "Stop with error if file not found" to disable the error but it does not work.

Error opening the file "Tool #227: C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Engine\Engine_19940_2a01d9645a38ae40ae8f7c1e3796a32a_\XXXXX.hyper": The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (123) (ToolId: -1)

Capture.PNG

I also tried using all relative as shown. But it seems the publish to tableau server tool is not affected anyways. 😣

Capture2.PNG

gjunhao96
8 - Asteroid

Hi all, just an update. I managed to get the app to work n Alteryx server. The issue was with AMP engine. Once I disabled it, the app works as intended.

KenL
Alteryx
Alteryx

"C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Engine" is actually the default Temporary Directory where temporary files used in processed workflows and apps will be placed. In an Alteryx Server Worker or Alteryx Designer (Admin version), the Temporary Directory can be configured in Alteryx System Settings > Engine > General.

@gjunhao96 , in this case I don't believe the Temporary Directory file path is responsible for this issue. We are currently looking into this behavior now.

Ken L.

Customer Support Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.

JonathanAllenby
8 - Asteroid

Hey @KenL !

Just wanted to check in and see if you've had any insights or updates on this behaviour?
We've just had this exact situation reported to us by a customer today.

JonathanAllenby
8 - Asteroid

Just to add an update of my own, we've just had the following confirmed by Alteryx Support:

Regarding this issue, the status of the issue is still in development. The Defect ID is: GENG-2763.

In the meantime, running this tool in non-AMP is the only workaround we can perform.

If anyone else would like to receive updates, please log your own case as they can add it to the defect ID so you will receive future updates on the defect.