Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

latest version vs published version of workflows on server

AmruthaPydeti
8 - Asteroid

I am new to using Alteryx server. My understanding published version is like production version to run when scheduled. Latest version is like current working version and will not be a production copy unless I make it as a published version. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong. I tried to run the workflow on schedule and latest version ran but not the published version. Is this expected? Then what is  the use of 2 separate versions no matter what if latest version is running always?

4 REPLIES 4
scottj
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You can choose what version is published at the time you save it, or in the Gallery.  

From the Designer when you save there is a box to check. 

Published3.png

From the Gallery you can select the version that is published and see the latest.

Published1.pngPublished2.png

Scott Jones
Strategic Sales Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.
AmruthaPydeti
8 - Asteroid

Yes, I did exactly as you said. But when i schedule workflows it is always taking the latest version but not the published version. This was not what I was expecting.

scottj
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I just did some testing and you are correct.  Let me dig in a bit and see what is going on. 

Sorry for the issue you are seeing, we hope to resolve quickly.

Scott Jones
Strategic Sales Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.
scottj
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I dug into this and the Published version is focused on applications in the Gallery, not scheduled workflows.  The expectation is that developing workflows for scheduling production would be linear.  To make the workflow you want run in the scheduling, you can open in Designer and save again to make it the Latest version.  That is the version that will run in Scheduler.  The Published version is what will run for others running an app.

Scott Jones
Strategic Sales Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.