Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

in Dynamic DB tool in Server not joining

Alayna
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

I've uploaded a workflow that uses an Oracle DB to server and it runs fine in designer, and has no validation errors when updated. But I think the dynamic in db tool is causing an issue because I get the following error for the DB Join: The left and right side must have the same In-Db connection

The connection and database is the same, but I have to specify the File connection's name in the dynamic tool. (I'm pulling dates and employee #s from another input file that changes in my where clause). To clarify, the file connection works for the regular in db tool but not the dynamic. Is there a workaround for this or a different way to configure the databse tools?

Alayna_2-1630431172696.png

Alayna_0-1630430793111.png

Alayna_1-1630430908734.png

3 REPLIES 3
Garabujo7
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @Alayna , here is a possible workaround for that according to this post:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Possible-Bug-In-DB-join-between-Dynami...

"There may be a workaround if the connection name you are using is camel case or upper case. Try changing the connection string going into the Dynamic Input tool to all lowercase, this should hopefully solve your problem. If it doesn't please let us know and if possible, provide the connection name strings."

Hope this helps.

Alayna
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Garabujo7  thanks for the reply. The solution didn't seem to work and still getting the in DB join error.

Alayna_0-1630437792631.png

Alayna
8 - Asteroid

If anyone ever sees this, I fiddled around with it and came up with a workaround: Joining two dynamic DB tools with the same connection field going in. Basically copy and paste the query from your regular Connect in DB to a formula tool, and just have that field and connection name feed into a Dynamic DB tool. Looks like the Server allows a join because it's using the same connection fields.