Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

difference between connection shared with a user versus subscription

DeepakTyagi
8 - Asteroid

CAn someone explain what is the difference between sharing a data connection from alteryx gallery with a user vs. subscription. When i share a data connection with a user (artisan) then I can see its alias in the user's designer. What is the purpose of sharing a data connection with a subcription/studio ?

4 REPLIES 4
Loic
Alteryx
Alteryx

Usually each user has only one subscription that corresponds to that user's Private Studio. In that case, sharing a connection via user or their Subscription/Private Studio has the same effect. However in some cases, you can have several users sharing one Private Studio through the same subscription. In that case sharing a connection with this Private Studio ends up sharing with all these users who have access to it. 

DeepakTyagi
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for your reply, as i mentioned in my question earlier, when I share the data connection with my private studio alone then the data connection is not visible to me in my studio ( even after synching connections). This is the reason I asked the question

Loic
Alteryx
Alteryx

if your user is the only user having access to its Private studio / subscription then sharing a connection with the user specifically OR the subscription has the same effect. I have tested it here to be certain.

Note: to be certain you are refreshing the list of available connections as "synch all" doesn't always work:

In Designer:

1- File - Open workflow - select your server/gallery - LOG OFF and do not log back in - Cancel to close the window

2- Options - Advanced Options - Manage Data Connection - in the type check only "Gallery" - - you should have no gallery connection or you should have a red mark that says you need to login for some of the previous gallery connections from your previous session - 

3- Click on the red mark to login

Now the display should be refreshed and you should see your data connection.

I am using 2020.2.3 server - which version of server are you using?

I am logged a "Publisher" user in Designer and I can see my Gallery connection:

Loic_0-1592335401402.png

I have only gave access to the Studio and not the user directly. Same effect.

Loic_1-1592335035302.pngLoic_2-1592335066412.png

raychase
11 - Bolide

I encourage you to be wary of sharing data connections at the subscription-level. Nearly all production versions of Alteryx Server do not support subscription-level sharing of data connections for scheduled workflows. Manual executions will be success; however, scheduled runs will error. My understanding is that this has been resolved only in the latest version.

To be safe, we've always stood by user-level sharing, as tedious and inconvenient as it is.