Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

connect to hadoop unix side from alteryx

sid
6 - Meteoroid

How do we use alteryx command tool to connect to hadoop unix side and get the hadoop environment variables? the requirement is that we would like to access the hadoop cluster based on the environment and pull the pertinent database connection info.. we have 3 servers one for DEV,QA and PROD. We dont want to change the config file everytime we deploy to a new environment.

3 REPLIES 3
PamW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I am going to do a lot of pointing you around here and there for the answer but here it is....

You can connect to a unix system from a windows system and run a command using SSH. 

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6147203/automating-running-command-on-linux-from-windows-using-pu...

In Alteryx Designer you can use the run command tool to excecute the above from the command line or put the above in a batch, power shell, python, etc script  that write results to a file. As an input to the run command you will read the results file into alteryx and likely have to parse it into fields and do some processing.

To make the input configuration dynamic you will put the Input Data tool in a Batch Macro. Configure the control parameter to update the input data tool, there is a good article here that has an example of updating an Input Data tool in a batch macro. @AlexK may be able to provide additional Input Data tool examples for Batch Macros.

If you have questions i can send you an example using HDP Sandbox.

pamW
sid
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Pam for the detailed explanation. let me work on it from my side . i think i got the idea of how to do it.. 

AngelaO
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The Run Command: Write Source & Read Results

http://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/The-Run-Command-Write-Source-amp-Read-Results...

Customer Support Engineer