Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Workflow stuck in "Initializing status"

JohnBell
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Every now and then, I see workflows that are stuck in the "initializing status" in the queue.

I can't delete it.  So I'm forced to restart the worker/controller, or in some cases, it fixes itself without any input from me.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior?  What did you do to fix it?

Thanks,

John

17 REPLIES 17
DawnR
8 - Asteroid

We have similar behavior. Currently running 2018.4. No solution has been found - it's really annoying. Hoping our upgrade to 2019.3 reduces some of these kinds of challenges, but I'm not feeling confident that it will.

DawnR
8 - Asteroid

Still an issue after our upgrade to 2019.3.

fdelapena
7 - Meteor

+1

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Just here to say we're having this exact issue in 2020.2. 

tdiroff
7 - Meteor

Hi Everyone

We are running 1 controller with 10 workers and each worker running 10 simultaneous workflows and we see this "stuck in initializing" problem once or twice a month. This has been happening for years over several versions (we are currently on 2019.4).

We have not been able confirm the oft mentioned "resource" issues  as the causes but in combing the logs there is a high correlation between connection issues between the controller and workers and "stuck in initializing" event. However, there are often communication connection issues that do not cause this "stuck in initializing" issue.

For us, the problem is how to resolve these. In the past we merely restarted the Alteryx Service on the Controller and while that worked we have started to see problems with any running workflows.

The Alteryx suggestion was to stop the Alteryx Service on all Workers before restarting the Alteryx Service on the  Controller. This is very problematic for us from a timing perspective and we are currently looking for another solution.

Tom

NeilJ1
5 - Atom

We intermittently see this problem too (on 2020.2 but also saw it on earlier versions). We run quite a lot of stuff on the server each day and only see this problem once a month or so on average, so it's not a huge issue but it is a little annoying because we only tend to find out that it has happened when a user contacts us to report that something they are expecting hasn't run.

The fact that we have to restart the Alteryx service to rectify this is also a pain. I wouldn't have thought it would be beyond the wit of man for Alteryx to build a fix for this that sees if a job has been initialising for x amount of time and if it has either a) kill the job and send an email to the admin user or b) notify the admin user and enable the cancel/delete button for that job.

Shaaz
9 - Comet

Hi, Were you able to get a solution for this ?

yuriy
8 - Asteroid

Having the same in 2022.1. Any solutions?

Also found a KB article about this that lists Reason: Unknown. And remediation is supposed to be deleting the jobs from the queue. The problem is that I can't delete these jobs. The delete button is grayed out. I am able to delete other Running jobs, but not the ones that are in Initializing status