Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Workflow exceeded maximum runtime of 30 seconds and was cancelled in Gallery

knozawa
11 - Bolide

Hello,

I've been getting this error message when I run a chained workflow:

Workflow exceeded maximum runtime of 30 seconds and was cancelled

I referred to this link, but couldn't solve the issue.

1. Looked at the system setting and it doesn't select "Cancel Jobs running longer than (seconds)" option.

2. Checked the alteryx.config file located in [AlteryxInstallFolder]\bin\config folder.  However, I couldn't find  chainedTimeout=""

The workflow runs fine without the chained workflow on gallery and designer.

Does anyone know how to solve the issue?

Sincerely,

knozawa

10 REPLIES 10
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@knozawa

You will need to add the chainedTimeout parameter into the xml yourself. That will fix your issue. 

knozawa
11 - Bolide

Hi @MichalM,

I've updated the alteryx config file ChainedTimeout = "600".  However, I still get the error message: Workflow exceeded maximum runtime of 600 seconds and was cancelled

Do you know the maximum runtime limit for chained workflow?

Sincerely,

knozawa

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

The reason for the timeout is to ensure the best possible experience for the end user running the chained app - needing to wait for over 10min for the next action is not great. Having said that, there's no limit per se so you could keep increasing the timeout to allow the first app to finish successfully. 

Have you tested that step outside of the chained context? How long does it take to complete on the server? Is there a way to reduce the runtime?

Also, I've noticed your changing the RuntimeSettings.xml within .\Program Files\Alteryx\bin directory. I don't recommend editing this file. If you ever need to edit the settings file, edit the one located in .\ProgramData\Alteryx

knozawa
11 - Bolide

@MichalM ,

Thank you for your response.  As you noticed, I modified the alteryx.config file in the Program Files directory to add the chainedTimeout="180000".  I checked the RuntimeSetting.xml in the ProgramData directory, but couldn't find the parameter chainedTimeout="". If I would modify this xml file instead, where do you think I should add this parameter to?

The first workflow runs for 40 min and the second workflow runs about 50 min.  I wanted to use the chained workflow on server by scheduling, but it seems like the first workflow ran successfully and second workflow didn't run automatically (although I didn't get an error message).  Do we always need to click "Run" for the chained workflow?  In other words, there is no way to automatically run the chained workflow?

Sincerely,

knozawa

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@knozawa 

My bad here - the chained timeout is a setting that can only be changed via the alteryx.config file which is located in the [AlteryxInstallFolder]\bin\config directory. So you've done everything right.

What I'd probably do in this type of scenario is to trigger the second workflow using an event on the back of a successful run of the first workflow. You can enable events within the workflow configuration 

workflow-events.png

And build a .bat file using the instructions here. Please note that the path to AlteryxEngineCmd.exe needs to be the one from the server and the workflow file needs to be saved in a location accessible by the server and referenced using a UNC path.

"C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\AlteryxEngineCmd.exe" "UNC PATH TO WORKFLOW/MyWorkflow.yxmd"

run-workflow.png

knozawa
11 - Bolide

Thank you, @MichalM !

Cfdiaz2103
8 - Asteroid

Hi @MichalM ! Hope you're doing great.

I've got the same error as @knozawa. I uploaded a chained app and it dropped the same error of the execution time. As you'd said, creating a .bat file should be enough in order to add a Run Command in the "Event" Tab. However, it seems that the link you shared in the last post is not currently available.

I'd appreciate any kind of support.

Best Regards.

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx
Sarath27
8 - Asteroid

Hi Michal,

I am also facing the same issue, could you please help me with creating a file bat file or pls help me with bat file, it'd be extremely helpful for me to resolve this issue.